• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I Considered Married?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MARRIEDHAPPILY

What is the name of your state?TX
I have lived with the father of my children for ten years and the school district where my daughter attends from a privious relationship, states that they need a noterized letter stating that she lives in our house, because my husbands last name does not match hers or mine. I told the school we were common law and they said it did not excised. So are we not considered married in the eyes of the law? We introduce ourselves as husband and wife.

rmet4nzkx

Simply get the noterized statement.

Common law marriage in TX is called Informal Marriage, so while you may have an informal marriage by virtue of living together and representing yourselves as married, filing taxes together, HOWEVER, if either of you were not free to marry, this would include not, single, never married, divorced/annuled form either a civil or informal marriage, then you might not have a valid informal marriage. Did either of you have a common law marriage or civil marriage and not get a divorce?

If you have a valid informal marriage, you may want to file a declaration of informal marriage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">