• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I Entitled To Part Of Insurance Money?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sarah88

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

My mom died in October of this year. My dad had taken out a $60,000 life insurance policy for her through his workplace. Now that my mom is gone and my dad has the money, he has told both my brother and I that it is his money and that we are not entitled to it because he is the one that paid on it. The only money we will receive is if he chooses to give us money out of the goodness of our hearts. My mom, to the best of my knowledge, did not have a will, but I find it odd that my brother and I aren't entitled to at least a small portion of my mom's life insurance. Can anyone tell me if my dad is right or if he is wrong? I would really appreciate it.

Dandy Don

No, you are not entitled to any of this money. When Dad purchased the policy, he probably named himself as primary beneficiary and he had the right to do so.

So apologize to him and say you were sorry for being so greedy, and then he will be nicer to you.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">