• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I legally bound by an initialed contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cindann

In MD, we had a recent hail storm. Contractors have been coming offering to meet the adjustor to point out damage. I initialed and dated an agreement. At the top of this agreement is says "this agreement is subject to insurance company approval".
I phone the contrator I spoke with and told him that I did not want him to meet with the adjustor, I would contact him if we needed new siding. Also at the bottom of this contract it states..."If this agreement was solicited at a residence (it was) and you do not want the goods or services, you, the buyer, may cancel this transaction at any time prior to midnight of the third business day after the date of this transaction." Am I legally bound to anything? Again I initialed I did not sign.

ALawyer

One's initials on a contract CAN be regarded as a binding signature. However, IF the contract by its terms was subject to insurance company approval it did not take effect. However, here you seem to be frustrating is obtaining such approval, and in such cases you may get stuck with paying him the benefit of the bargain. Quite frankly, caneclling within 3 days is your safest approach. But it wold be essential to read the contract and see exactly what it says, and know your state's local laws, which I do not, to advise you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">