• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I legally bound to repay my company for their tuition reimbursement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sillysmart

Boston, MA

My company offer different plans for tuition reimbursements. I am covered under the tuition reimbursement plan that the company reimburses for 100% of the tuition costs and textbooks upfront (before completion of courses).

My company does not have language "clause" for employees to reimburse company for any tuition reimbursements paid, if employee leaves company.

I was recently reimbursed by my company for my summer courses (which is still ongoing) but I decided not to stay with the company. Company is asking me to repay them for the reimbursed summer courses and textbooks. They say I am obligated to reimburse them since the courses will run (til 8/21) past my last date of employment (7/2).

The language they cited in support of their position is as follows:

1. Expense reimbursement is contingent upon continued
employment

2. If you voluntarily terminate your employment, you will not be eligible for reimbursement

Given I was covered under the tuition reimbursement plan, where company pays for costs 100% of tuition and textbooks - I did not expect to repay an of the reimbursements received, whether courses were completed or not. The language above (identified #1 and #2) seems vague.

I'm looking for guidance on this. Hope you can help.

swalsh411

They can ask. And if you say no they could sue you but it doesn't sound like they have a very strong case. They can't legally take it out of your pay check if you didn't agree to the deduction.

cheerful

I dont know about the law, but it seems fair that if you chose to quit, you should pay for books. unfair to milk company for benefits for time beyond your time there, IMHO.

You could have planned to stay longer till the end of semester.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">