• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I legally married

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?ohio
18 years ago I went to Vegas and got married. Currently going through a nasty divorce and I was advised by my spouse we are not married because the marriage certificate was never turne in to Ohio. After 18 years I walk away with nothing except $800 in child support. Am I really married?

adjusterjack

Don't take legal advice from your enemy.

Get yourself a lawyer.

Nevada is a community property state. You'd be entitled to a lot more than just $800 in child support.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Don't take legal advice from your enemy.

Get yourself a lawyer.

Nevada is a community property state. You'd be entitled to a lot more than just $800 in child support.
Nevada is irrelevant. The OP lives in Ohio and the laws in Ohio apply. Ohio is an equitable distribution state.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
As an Ohio attorney, your marriage in Las Vegas if recognized in Nevada is recognized in Ohio. You need an attorney. Did you get an Ohio marriage certificate? Or a Nevada wedding certificate.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state?ohio
18 years ago I went to Vegas and got married. Currently going through a nasty divorce and I was advised by my spouse we are not married because the marriage certificate was never turne in to Ohio. After 18 years I walk away with nothing except $800 in child support. Am I really married?
I echo what everyone else said. There was never a requirement for your marriage certificated to be turned in to Ohio. Your stbx is lying to you. If you do not already have an attorney I suggest that you consider getting one, because your stbx is not playing nice.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I echo what everyone else said. There was never a requirement for your marriage certificated to be turned in to Ohio. Your stbx is lying to you. If you do not already have an attorney I suggest that you consider getting one, because your stbx is not playing nice.
That is NOT necessarily true. There is a reason why I asked about the state of the certificate. But go back to your corner.

Nevada and I have the certificate. He just recently came into a large settlement. He was trying to get ri of me now he trying to be nice.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Then if it was properly filed in Nevada, that is all that matters. And ignore LD on all matters concerning Ohio. She knows nothing and tries to pretend she does (actually that is for all family law matters). You are legally married if Nevada recognizes your marriage. You may get $800 a month in child support but that is not guaranteed because it is based upon facts not presented here. You are entitled to 50% of marital property and 50% of marital debt. And there is also "putative spouse" that matters. In what county are you located in Ohio?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Nevada and I have the certificate. He just recently came into a large settlement. He was trying to get ri of me now he trying to be nice.
Ah... Ohio is an equitable distribution state, and he does not want this to be considered a marital asset... Which, depending on the circumstances, it might not be, or it might be.

I assume that prior to filing for divorce, your husband never questioned that you were married, right? And if you changed your name, no one had any problem with your documentation, right? :) Deep breathing exercises!

What would be ironic is if it turns out that the settlement he's trying to protect is already separate property - it certainly makes him look like a not nice person.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">