• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

am I liable on company's behalf?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

J Muth

I live in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada. I recently answered an ad for a work-at-home job for a company named BTL Research. They are conducting a study on weight loss. The participants are required to send a $30.00 deposit for which they receive the written and testing materials. They then have to keep a daily journal of their nutritional and exercise habits, and perform fitness and body composition tests. The program lasts for 90 days. The participant then sends the completed package back to BTL Research, and they are sent a cheque for $250.00 ($220.00 plus the $30.00 deposit). My job in all of this is to find the people to participate. I will be paid $5. for every person I sign up.
When I answered the ad, they mailed me a package with a sample participant's package, 100 application/waivers, and 2 receipt books. I am to accept the deposits on their behalf and send them in once a week with the forms. BTL Research is a small company operating out of Regina, Saskatchewan, and only a couple of months old. Now, FINALLY, my question is, what if BTL Research turns out to be bogus, or goes bankrupt, or just plain disappears? Would I then be responsible to the participants for their $30.00 deposits? The cheques and/or money orders are made out to BTL Research, but I would be writing the receipts. Please advise. Thankyou very much, J.Muth

T

Tracey

Sounds like a scam, but it could be on the level. I don't think we have any Canadian lawyers on the board, and an American law answer won't be of any use to you. Swing by the U of S law school & ask a contracts or agency professor about an agent's liability when the principle goes bankrupt/renegs/etc.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">