• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I Liable to Pay My Doctor?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

seelingk

What is the name of your state? NY

I had a surgery in 1999. As a standard procedure all service parties got my health insurance info from the hospital adminssion's office and got paid except for one. The surgeant who operated on me whom I never met before, sent me a bill a year later without any other explaination. I replied him with my insurance information. He later sent the same bill a couple of times and I replied him with my insurance information again. Several month later, a collection agency contacted me. This time the doctor informed me his claimed was never paid. Then I contacted my insurance company and the workers there told the doctor to submit his claim again. After he did it, the insur. co. claimed that the claim was submitted beyond their time frame (18 months) and denied to pay. They also claimed that the doctor had submitted his claim in Oct 1999 to the wrong place. However, I have a copy of the original claim the doctor forwarded to me this time and on the right uppper corner it states the insurance company's name and address, marked "returned to provider". I don't know what the misunderstanding between the doctor and the insur co but I know he did submit his claim.

Now, am I liable to pay the doctor because of their messup?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">