• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I liable...?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

it_staffer

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? California

In September I went to an Ophthalmologist for treatment of an eye infection. The insurance carrier did not pay for the treatment and the good doctor has come to me for restitution. I want to know if I am liable for payment?

My insurance carrier filed bankruptcy and closed doors. I was not aware of this until 2 months after my treatment when I got a COBRA package. I called and found out they were no longer in business.

Thank you in advance.

M Dub

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

it_staffer said:
What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? California

In September I went to an Ophthalmologist for treatment of an eye infection. The insurance carrier did not pay for the treatment and the good doctor has come to me for restitution. I want to know if I am liable for payment?

My insurance carrier filed bankruptcy and closed doors. I was not aware of this until 2 months after my treatment when I got a COBRA package. I called and found out they were no longer in business.

Thank you in advance.

M Dub

=====================================

My response:

Are you "liable"? No, "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE"

Are you "responsible" for the dental bill? Yes. It's not your doctor's fault that you obtained his services and that your insurance company went belly up. You owe the doctor, so pay the doctor.

Now, you can get your money back by calling the California Department of Insurance in Sacramento. They'll send you some forms. If there's enough money left in the Insurance company's bond with the State, then you'll be reimbursed by the State.

If not, then file your creditor's claim with the Bankruptcy court. Stand in line in the hopes of getting a few pennies on the dollar.

Good luck.

IAAL

I

it_staffer

Thank you...

Just making sure.

Much apprecited.

PS ...not to be a know it all, but it was an eye doc, not the tooth fairy....:p

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">