• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I liable...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

ontheverge

What is the name of your state? PA
Here's the deal -
I own a house in PA. I have a roommate who recently started dating someone who has a two-year old child that is out of control and doesn't listen, and in addition to that neither my roommate or the parent is very good at watching this kid - I am afraid that he will get hurt and I will be sued when I don't want him there in the first place. I do not feel my house is suitable for a child (1 great dane, 4 cats, lots of hazards and fragile stuff), but I do not want to lose my roommate either (best friend since first grade, we're 24 now).
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks!!!!

dequeendistress

You have put limits on the possiblities. IE I don't want to lose my roommate, I don't want to be liable for child, non-supervision of said, great dane and the dangers as such. Not to mention the "fragile" items which may be destroyed by same.

You, of course, already tried the up front approach and your roommate and you do not see eye to eye?

O

ontheverge

No we do not. She thinks that it is not fair (although I do not see how it is fair to me putting up with the risks, the screaming, etc.), and also insists that you just cannot supervise a 2 year old constantly. I insist that you can, and that she seems to be the only one to think that you can't, and that's where we are right now. Neither the parent or her is mature enough to accept responsibility for this child and watch him constantly (hence the above quote), and I sure as heck don't want to be responsible for him! I don't even want him in my house! Not that I dislike him or anything, the house is just not suitable and I'm worried something will happen to him when they are once again not paying attention to him.

H

hexeliebe

then tell roomie and her 'friend' that they either arrange for childcare outside of the home or meet at the 'friend's' house.

Either way, it's NO! And have the balls to stand up. This is not a friend if she can't understand your liability.

dequeendistress

I agree with hexe.

If she were truly YOUR friend you would not be in THIS situation. Many times, unfortunately, persons are their own best friend. And this is to whom they pay their loyality.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">