• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I Liable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

azoklihp

I sold a used car for cash one year ago in Texas. I signed the back of the title and turned it over to the buyer. I gave him a title transfer form with all my information on it and sent a Notice of Car Sale to the State of Texas with the new owner's name. PROBLEM: I checked a few days ago and he has never had the title transferred and the car is still registered in my name as far as the State of Texas is concerned. Am I ultimately liable for any damage he does with that car? I was told by a county clerk that I could be. What can I do if I have no way of contacting this person?

[This message has been edited by azoklihp (edited May 20, 2000).]

A

Attorney_Replogle

You are on the right track. My father had a similar problem a few years ago. I would advise you to send copies of those documents to the Texas department of motor vehicles with an explanatory letter. Ask them to change their records (based on the documents you sent) to indicate the true new owner.

Please also keep those documents in a safe place. If the District Attorney ever filed a case for something naming you as the current registered owner, then you can provide the D.A. with copies of the documents. That happened to my father. As soon as the documents were received by the D.A., they dropped all charges against him.

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">