• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

am i liable

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

ChrisDyer

i hit someones car at a campground, and they were not legally registered at the campground, so they were trespasing, and no cops were not notifed and and the next day they said they wanted me to pay for the damages. Do i have to pay?

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ChrisDyer:
i hit someones car at a campground, and they were not legally registered at the campground, so they were trespasing, and no cops were not notifed and and the next day they said they wanted me to pay for the damages. Do i have to pay?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, you have a moral and ethical obligation to pay. Either pay out of pocket if less or close to your insurance deductible or notify your insurance carrier. Your action and liability is not waived or diminished just because the car you hit was not registered at the campground and no police report was made. If you do not settle, the owner of the car you hit and the insurance company can sue you for damages. In fact the owner of the car you hit could file a claim with their own insurance company to repair the damage. And expect that insurance company to go after your insurance company for reimbursement. If you expect the campground to help you, they will only confirm that the driver of the other car was not registered and they will say that the accident is a private matter between the two of you. Read the fine print and disclaimers on your campground permit application. The campground is certainly not liable for damages to your car or for a car that you hit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">