• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I missing something?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

twojules

What is the name of your state? NY

I would think there would be something here however I am not sure. As a US citizen how can a state (NY) make me stay married?? I filed for divorce judge dismissed my complaint after 3 1/2 years. Now I am stuck married to someone we are legally bound. Short of moving out of state which I cant because of kids/visitation I can do nothing. There has to be something how can a state have sooo much power over our personal lives??

twojules

SAid since we had been married so long (13yrs.) the burden of proof goes up in long term marriages. I filed under cruel and inhumane treatment. Had a psy. and med dr. testify. OOPS I almost forgot , the 3 1/2 yrs was partly because my husband was on active duty status for 2 of the years non concurent the other was him not being able to keep an attorney. It was delay after delay on his part.

Last edited:

justalayman

You have to think of a marraige as what it actually is,,,,,,,a contract.

For a court to void or invalidate a contract, the legal requirements to ask for the contract to be voided must be met. The state sets these requirements, the same as in any contract law. If you cannot meet these requirements, they can refuse to invalidate or void the contract.

Not fair if you ask me but that is how it is.

Short of moving out of state which I cant because of kids/visitation I can do nothing
Refile for divorce in New York. If this doesn;t seem like an option, obtain residence in another state and then refile.

In life, we all make choices. Sometimes we choose to not do anything. Sometimes we chose to do whatever it takes to get what we want done, done.

The choices are not always the way we want to do things but if that is what it takes to get the job done and we want the job done, we do what we have to.

It's your choice to do or not do what it takes to achieve your goal. Only you can determine if it is worth what it takes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">