• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I Really Married?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? PA

In 1975 I was divorced in MI, but moved to PA in 1976. I used an "assumed" last name because I didn't want my ex to find me. I was re-married in 1977 under this assumed name. Was this marriage legal?

Last edited:

What does that mean? I divorced that person and 1982 and remarried (I never learn!!!) in 1983. So, neither of these marriages was legal? How do I "correct" this?

JETX

Lets put it this way.....
Say your real name is "Bertha Butts". When you got married, you gave your name as "Betty Derrierre", without any form of legal name change, and your husband is named "Small Mind". Of course, the license shows the brides name as "Betty Derrierre" and her husband "Small Mind".

So, in this case, "Betty Derrierre" got married..... but "Bertha Butts" is not shown on the license OR marriage certificate or registration filed with the county/state!!

WOW!!! This can be good---and bad!! What happens with my current "husband" and his retirement pension/ss if something happens to him? What about MY ss??? Do I need to obtain legal advice to get this straightened out??? I was so young and naive. I had NO idea what this would entail! Do I get them annuled or something?

Yes, I get it--my "assumed" name was the only one married, but I wasn't--ah, am NOT now!!

JETX

retiredbaker said:
WOW!!! This can be good---and bad!! What happens with my current "husband" and his retirement pension/ss if something happens to him? What about MY ss??? Do I need to obtain legal advice to get this straightened out??? I was so young and naive. I had NO idea what this would entail! Do I get them annuled or something?

Yes, I get it--my "assumed" name was the only one married, but I wasn't--ah, am NOT now!!
Yep, you are going to need to talk with an attorney.... and might just have to get re-married.... under your REAL name this time.

Hey, I know you guys are having a good time with this, but could you answer my questions? Are my marriages after assumed name voidable (or whatever)? Do I tell my current "husband"? My former "husband"? What are the ramifications down the road? Am I going to jail? :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">