• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I repsonsible for these fees?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CMadill

Our ag business opened a search for new farm management. We chose from three iinterested businesses. One of the two NOT selected just sent me a legal bill for fees they incurred to draw up a Management Agreement...which was not signed, nor agreed to. I argue this is their cost of doing business. Am I required to pay their legal fees?

PayrollHRGuy

I tend to agree with you unless it was communicated to you that there was to be a charge for creating the agreement that you refused.

LdiJ

Our ag business opened a search for new farm management. We chose from three iinterested businesses. One of the two NOT selected just sent me a legal bill for fees they incurred to draw up a Management Agreement...which was not signed, nor agreed to. I argue this is their cost of doing business. Am I required to pay their legal fees?
I agree with the previous response. Its seriously ballsy for them to send you that bill.

justalayman

It all depends on what your advertisement and any ensuing conversations or negotiations stated. It is possible you would be liable for the costs. It is possible you arent. Not enough info here to make the call.

quincy

What is the name of your state?

Did you ask for written proposals?

CMadill

What is the name of your state?

Did you ask for written proposals?
STate: California...we asked for budget proposals - including what would they charge for managing the farming on 100+ acres of land annually, and any farming recommendations for the year ahead. We met with all competing farm managers (3) on site - and gave records to all to review previous records (irrigation design, commodity contracts, soil and tissue analysis) ... then we conducted a reference review. We did not ask for third party legal contracts to be drafted (in fact we have our own attorney, and have in house contracts from other agreements that could have been modified.) The bill we have been demanded to pay would cover at least 8 hours of legal fees as far as I can tell.

quincy

STate: California...we asked for budget proposals - including what would they charge for managing the farming on 100+ acres of land annually, and any farming recommendations for the year ahead. We met with all competing farm managers (3) on site - and gave records to all to review previous records (irrigation design, commodity contracts, soil and tissue analysis) ... then we conducted a reference review. We did not ask for third party legal contracts to be drafted (in fact we have our own attorney, and have in house contracts from other agreements that could have been modified.) The bill we have been demanded to pay would cover at least 8 hours of legal fees as far as I can tell.
Thank you for answering my questions.

Based strictly on what you have said here, I can see no reason offhand why you could or should be expected to pay expenses incurred by the company in the drafting or presenting of their proposal. The company would be responsible for its own attorney costs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">