• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I responsible for water bill balance from previous owner?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

I bought a house in FL last year. I didn't move in for over 6 months so I didn't open water account from city. The previous owner didn't close the account (0 balance during closing). But since then, the account has accumulated about $600 due to late payment as well as minimal standard charges.
Today when I contact the city to open a new account, I was told I need to pay this $600 first. During this period of time, there was no water used, so $600 is purely minimal charges plus late fees.

Can someone tell me if I am legally responsible for this charge? Water account is automatically associated with the owner or the account owner? Your legal advice is highly appreciated.

Thanks.

LM.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

I bought a house in FL last year. I didn't move in for over 6 months so I didn't open water account from city. The previous owner didn't close the account (0 balance during closing). But since then, the account has accumulated about $600 due to late payment as well as minimal standard charges.
Today when I contact the city to open a new account, I was told I need to pay this $600 first. During this period of time, there was no water used, so $600 is purely minimal charges plus late fees.

Can someone tell me if I am legally responsible for this charge? Water account is automatically associated with the owner or the account owner? Your legal advice is highly appreciated.

Thanks.

LM.
You are responsible for the water service at your house.

OHRoadwarrior

They will not only refuse to turn on the water, if they wanted to be even harder, if a city utility, they could have a property lien put on it.

They will not only refuse to turn on the water, if they wanted to be even harder, if a city utility, they could have a property lien put on it.
As matter of fact, I do hope the city turn off the water, so no more water bill accumulated. I am willing to pay the termination fee and reactivation fee which is much lower.

OHRoadwarrior

Which is the point they put a lien on the property and refuse to restart service under a new name. Why is it you refuse to take responsibility for your failure to handle all the issue that came up from you buying the house?

As matter of fact, I do hope the city turn off the water, so no more water bill accumulated. I am willing to pay the termination fee and reactivation fee which is much lower.

Which is the point they put a lien on the property and refuse to restart service under a new name. Why is it you refuse to take responsibility for your failure to handle all the issue that came up from you buying the house?
Hope you get paid by government for your excellent defending for them.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hope you get paid by government for your excellent defending for them.
That makes no sense. The simple fact of the matter is that you failed to do something that you should have done. Instead of blaming everyone else, blame yourself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">