• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I responsible

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SASMITH

The state in which I need the advice in is Tennessee. I have a house that I'm letting my nephew live in. There is no kind of contract of a lease. The agreement is that he pays the utility bill and thats it. He moved one of his buddies in with him recently ,which was fine with me. The buddy is 21 and the buddies girlfriend is under 18. My concern is if something was to happen with any under aged person would I be held responsible in any way and if so how could I protect myself from that happening besides making "the buddy move out. Thanks for any help.

longneck

in a perfect world, you would not be responsible for your tenant's actions. but we do not live in a perfect world. old people go to mcdonald's for hot coffee, spill it in their laps, then sue mcdonald's because the coffee is hot.

if you are uncomfortable with the situation, then do what you think is necessary.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">