• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I responsible

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gree Da

What is the name of your state? Michigan
I own a duplex, rent out both sides. This duplex has a basement that is not available for either tenant to use. One of the tenants asked to store some things in the basement and I told her it would be okay. Now the tenant finds out that some of her belongings that she stored in the basement have mildew on them. She stopped paying her rent in December and claims she will not pay any rent until she gets a settlement for her belongings. Am I responsible for her "stuff"?

BL

Gree Da said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan
I own a duplex, rent out both sides. This duplex has a basement that is not available for either tenant to use. One of the tenants asked to store some things in the basement and I told her it would be okay. Now the tenant finds out that some of her belongings that she stored in the basement have mildew on them. She stopped paying her rent in December and claims she will not pay any rent until she gets a settlement for her belongings. Am I responsible for her "stuff"?
No , and start eviction proceeding For non payment of rent as per your State's LL Tenant Laws .

Tenants should purchase renters insurance .

Who's Liable?

do you have a clause in your lease regarding responsibility for tenant items should they be damaged?

For future use, add a clause in your lease specifically stating you the LL will NOT be responsible for damage to tenant belongings, and you urge them to get renters insurance...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">