• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am i responsible

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nycares

I live in New york city and rent the first floor of a two famiy house. Although my rental agreement states that the landlord is responsible for maintanence, she has not taken care of the font of the house which has a little yard. The yard has weeds that grow as high as my window, which at times effect my child who has asthma. I try to cut the weeds myself with a knife because i refuse to buy garden equipment as i am a renter. I rake the leaves in fall and shovel the snow in winter, laying the salt down, etc. Ive ask her repeatly why isnt the outdoor maintanence done by her, and she wants to threaten me with eviction,(if I dont stop nitpicking I could give her notice). She is an absent landlord and even the neighbor upstairs refused to touch anytrhing outside. Ive gotten nasty stares from homeowners neighbors who cant stand to see the sight of leaves thrown about, ice thick as hell, only because i go on my mini "strikes", but end up doing it anyway. Do i get compusated for my time cleaning up the yard all year?
Thank you in advance.

L

LL

Why don't you offer to the LL to perform these maintenance items on her behalf in return for something, such as reduction in rent.

N

nycares

am i responsible

Yes, after 3 and a half years of being here I've had asked her for compensation in rent, (i pay all utilities here, including heat and hot water)however she refuses, stating that she want her full rent because i live INSIDE the house and not outside. I mean really......

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">