• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I screwed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loveisi

Guys, I signed a contract with a client and I put this clause in the payment section. I've just removed the client's name.

These guys paid me right away. In fact everytime I issue an invoice at the beginning of the month, it's fulfilled right away.

Now the issue is . . .

Last week I signed a contract with another client and when I said I can't start until you make your first payment, they keep quoting me my own terms and keep saying that they have up to 30 days to pay and it's their right bla bla bla.

Are they correct?

Did I screw up by not putting in the exact date of payment as well? I thought when you give an invoice in the beginning of the month, it means you get paid in the beginning as well. The 30 days is just more of a formality.

These guys are already being really 'anal' about this.

1. Are they correct?
2. Is this is a sign of an annoying client?

I don't feel good about them now. They are a $12 Million dollar company so I don't get this kind of behaviour at all . . .

I want to cancel this contract (We've both signed and it has been less than 7 business days).

quincy

What is the name of your state or, if not in the US, what is the name of your country?

Edit: I just noticed your username, Loveisi, and I understand you are located in Vancouver. FreeAdvice offers advice and information based on US laws. You should seek assistance with your contract in Canada. Thanks.

quincy

Thank you, Loveisi. I edited my earlier post when I realized you have posted here before.

You should have your contract reviewed in Canada. The laws in the US differ, sometimes in significant ways.

Good luck.

adjusterjack

1. Are they correct?
2. Is this is a sign of an annoying client?

I don't feel good about them now. They are a $12 Million dollar company so I don't get this kind of behaviour at all . . .

I want to cancel this contract (We've both signed and it has been less than 7 business days).
My two cents worth says you shot yourself in the foot this time.

Loveisi

@adjusterjack - Yeah I think so too . . . FUDGE!!!

They are already super demanding so I'm thinking about just moving on. Is that possible? Like I said, contract was signed on Monday. Rather spend more time on lead gen than deal with a difficult low paying client. FUDGE!!!

Last edited:

quincy

You are as bound by the terms of your contract as your client is, absent laws in Canada to the contrary.

You should have your contract reviewed by a professional in Canada.

adjusterjack

They are already super demanding so I'm thinking about just moving on. Is that possible? Like I said, contract was signed on Monday. Rather spend more time on lead gen than deal with a difficult low paying client. FUDGE!!!
Contracts work both ways. You don't get out of them without agreement from the other side. Without that agreement it's called breach of contract

LdiJ

@adjusterjack - Yeah I think so too . . . FUDGE!!!

Just as an FY, most major companies expect to get at least 30-60 days to pay invoices. Some of the biggest, like one we won't mention, expect to get 90. So the are NOT being super demanding at all.

quincy

Just as an FY, most major companies expect to get at least 30-60 days to pay invoices. Some of the biggest, like one we won't mention, expect to get 90. So the are NOT being super demanding at all.
In the US, at any rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">