• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I the employer???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? louisiana

Ok here goes, husband used to be a general contractor, had contracts with all the people he built houses with, anyways he is not longer a GC and a friend asked him to consult on the building of his house. So they hired some guys that used to do some work for him and long story short one fell off the roof. Now 8 months later he is claiming workers comp on my husband. We did not have workers comp because he was no longer a gc. The homeowner paid all the bills on the house, he even fired the guy for drinking on the job. My husband was not there supervising him and telling him what to do and they did not get paid hourly, but by the job. So is he and indendent contractor? Any help would be appreciated, we go to a mediation on april 15, 2005. Thanks Stacey

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential