• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Amazon Overcharging Digital Purchase Tax

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Florida (also my state) has some special taxation that includes video and music digital products and total taxes for each county may be different.

From the Florida Department of Revenue:

"What is taxable? Communications services include telecommunications, video, direct-to-home satellite, and related services. This definition includes voice, data, audio, video, or any other information or signals transmitted by any medium."

"Communications services tax is comprised of two parts: the Florida communications services tax and the local communications services tax."

"Dealers must itemize and separately state taxes on the customer's bill. The taxes must be identified as Florida communications services and local communications services tax, respectively. Dealers must add the communications services tax to the price of the communications services sold, and may not absorb or relieve the customer of all or any part of the communications services tax."

There are some exemptions (such as internet access paid to your ISP). The Florida Department of Revenue has a lot of information on this topic, including explanatory PDFs and Excel spreadsheets with taxation by county on their website ( search "florida department revenue communications services tax" as a start ).

Last edited:

PayrollHRGuy

Florida (also my state) has some special taxation that includes video and music digital products and total taxes for each county may be different.

From the Florida Department of Revenue:

"What is taxable? Communications services include telecommunications, video, direct-to-home satellite, and related services. This definition includes voice, data, audio, video, or any other information or signals transmitted by any medium."

"Communications services tax is comprised of two parts: the Florida communications services tax and the local communications services tax."

"Dealers must itemize and separately state taxes on the customer's bill. The taxes must be identified as Florida communications services and local communications services tax, respectively. Dealers must add the communications services tax to the price of the communications services sold, and may not absorb or relieve the customer of all or any part of the communications services tax."

There are some exemptions (such as internet access paid to your ISP). The Florida Department of Revenue has a lot of information on this topic, including explanatory PDFs and Excel spreadsheets with taxation by county on their website ( search "florida department revenue communications services tax" as a start ).
I doubt this is applicable here. First, the products wouldn't really fit in the what is taxable list. Second, the number don't add up to the correct amount.

Aoblack2

Responding to the post from @sky144 on the overcharging of taxes on digital streaming rentals on Amazon. I too am in FL. And I just noticed this overcharge today. When I ordered a movie on demand to watch on Amazon, it’s noted on the screen as a $3.99. The charge that comes through is $4.50. They are saying it’s tax. But that equates to 12% tax and not my local rate.

Found this on TaxJar.

Florida – Digital products are tax exempt in Florida. Items sold in digital form are not considered “tangible personal property” and are therefore not taxable. Though, if the item is sold in conjunction with tangible personal property then the entire sale would most likely be subject to Florida sales tax. (Source)

Also, I called Amazon, and they told me that I am charged tax on rentals but not if I purchase a video digitally. Where is the sense in that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">