• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Amazon wish list Tax question.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

seonoob

I have a medium sized social media following. I'd like to use my platform to help public school teachers. Amazon has a way to set up a wish list you can make public and people can buy those things for you. My idea is to get in touch with public school teachers that follow my twitter page, have them make a wish list, tweet the link for the wish list, and I'd ReTweet or share they're link. I just want to make sure there are no tax laws or anything in the way before i proceed.

quincy

I have a medium sized social media following. I'd like to use my platform to help public school teachers. Amazon has a way to set up a wish list you can make public and people can buy those things for you. My idea is to get in touch with public school teachers that follow my twitter page, have them make a wish list, tweet the link for the wish list, and I'd ReTweet or share they're link. I just want to make sure there are no tax laws or anything in the way before i proceed.
What is the name of your state?

quincy

I'm in New York
Thank you for providing your state name.

I am not seeing any tax implications for you if you are just offering your site as a place for other people or organizations to post links to their own Amazon Wish Lists.

Is that what you want to do? Or am I misunderstanding your plan?

quincy

Yea, more or less. They'd tweet their link to the wish list, and I'd share it all of my followers.
Okay. That should be doable. You could even add a few words about the organization to help drive donations.

For example: There is a small zoo in Michigan that has an Amazon Wish List. The Wish List includes items for the zoo animals. I could publish a link to the wish list so the zoo could get more donations. As long as I am not acting as a middleman (e.g., collecting goods, money) for the zoo, I am not generating any income.

seonoob

Awesome. Thank you so much. lol I'm trying to do a nice thing, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to violate any laws or rules and end up getting a fine or something. Thank you again!

quincy

Awesome. Thank you so much. lol I'm trying to do a nice thing, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to violate any laws or rules and end up getting a fine or something. Thank you again!
I can't see -at least from what you've described here - that you would be violating any laws or at risk of being fined or sued.

You would not be able to use the name of any organization/individual as a way to promote your site, however, without authorization from the individual/organization. But providing links to their Wish Lists should not be an issue.

That said, you might want to go over your plans with a lawyer local to you, to better ensure you are on solid legal ground in all areas.

I like your idea, seonoob, and wish you success with it.

Thanks for the thanks. :)

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
If all you do is share their wish list link and you don't receive anything from it then you have no taxable income as a result of it. Of course, you also get no deduction or tax benefit from it either.

quincy

If all you do is share their wish list link and you don't receive anything from it then you have no taxable income as a result of it. Of course, you also get no deduction or tax benefit from it either.
The good will that is generated should be worth more than a tax deduction or benefit. :)

But I agree there does not appear to be any tax issues with his plan as outlined here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">