• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

amend a California birth record

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My deceased grandmother was, a native of Mexico who legally lived in this country for much of her life. As such, the surname format they follow in that country is very different than how it is followed in this country. When my grandmother came to this country she adopted they was of this country--and that was fine until now.:p
I am now trying to gain my national status as a citizen of Mexico and need to show documentation my grandmother was born in Mexico, and the trail of birth records of my father and then myself to show the familial connection. However, this is not possible with the birth records because her birth record shows her name in mexican format, and her name on my fathers birth record shows her name is american format (this is all pertaining to the usage of surnames). I have lots of documentation showing that the 2 diffferent names attributed to my grandmother are one in the same, along with my own personal testimony of her name, as well as that of my father. My question is, would the court approve the amendment of the birth record to reflect my grandmothers actual given name.... or who or what type of attorney/resource should I contact for help with the matter? TIA Happy

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">