• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

American citizen living abroad: US life insurance possible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gabito

I currently do not live in any state since I've been living in Argentina for about 15 years now. I still do have some real estate in Houston,TX at the moment.

Anyways.. I was thinking of getting life insurance for myself from a US based company.

From what I've read, these companies require the person interested to live at least 6 months in the country before being eligible for an insurance.

Is this so? Or can I go over to the states and get myself life insurance without being a US resident?

Hope my english is clear, been quite a while since I used it.

Cheers.

Last edited:

xylene

There are many hundred of life insurers who offer a plethora of policies.

It is not illlegal for them to have residency restrictions.

However I am quite confident that policies exist to meet your needs as citizen non-resident.

I am also quite confident that the premium will be substantial, as risk is higher for you as an Argentine resident, and less quantifiable (insurers hate uncertainty)

You will not be able to get a US resident policy based on your US property, even if you physically travel to the US. If you do, push come to shove, the insurer would find out and you would be out money and potentially liable for criminal insurance fraud.

The bottom line is do not lie or misrepresent your situation on applications or policy documents.

gabito

Thanks xylene. You've been more than helpful.

I'm going to start checking out some life insurers and see what they offer. Let's hope the premium isn't that high hehe..

thanks again!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">