• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

American citizen with notice to appear in Canada

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

UStoCA

I am a US citizen traveling from Canada and was arrested after flight and given a notice to appear in a Canadian court, once for fingerprints and once for the courts appearance.

What would be my options here and what would be the repercussions of missing those dates? Is a warrant issued and is it only valid in the province that issued it? Does it affect me in the US?

quincy

For what were you arrested?

If you are facing criminal charges in Canada, you should be speaking to a criminal defense attorney.

quincy

To clarify: You should be speaking with a Canadian Defense Attorney.
A U.S. attorney possibly can help prevent extradition. I think an initial consultation with a California attorney would be smart. A Canadian attorney might be necessary later.

LdiJ

I am a US citizen traveling from Canada and was arrested after flight and given a notice to appear in a Canadian court, once for fingerprints and once for the courts appearance.

What would be my options here and what would be the repercussions of missing those dates? Is a warrant issued and is it only valid in the province that issued it? Does it affect me in the US?
What were you arrested for? That will make a difference in whether or not they are willing to extradite.

quincy

Would an extradition request be made for this?
Possibly. It could be a extraditable offense, going by number 21 in the Schedule of offenses.

That is why you will want to speak to an attorney in California, to help investigate the charge against you more fully and to see what can be done about it without you having to return to Canada.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">