• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

American Opportunity Tax Credit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Squatcher

I live in the State of Michigan.

I previously claimed the American Opportunity tax credit twice for when my child was going to college. Now that he has stopped going & I have decided to go back to school, am I limited to only 2 more American Opportunity tax credits or does it reset back to the original 4?

LdiJ

I live in the State of Michigan.

I previously claimed the American Opportunity tax credit twice for when my child was going to college. Now that he has stopped going & I have decided to go back to school, am I limited to only 2 more American Opportunity tax credits or does it reset back to the original 4?
It is per student, not per taxpayer. It also applies to the first four years of college. If this is your first time to college then you have four years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">