• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ammending child support from state to state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? Georgia
My husband and I live in georgia with my three kids and we also share one child together, but he has an ex-wife and 12 year old son in New York. His salary has been cut significantly since Sept 11, 01 and we were wondering how to ammend child support on his son. Must we file it in the state of residence as the custodial parent and child( ny) or can we file it in our local courts here in GA???


Senior Member
You'll have to file a petition to modify the child support through New York because they have jurisdiction. At the top of this page is a search engine asking if you need legal forms. You could try to find the form that way or go through some search engines. Print it, fill it out and return it. I'm not sure if you have to return it to the clerk of court or CSE. I'm thinking the clerk of court though but call them to make sure. They should let you know of a court date after that.


Senior Member
If the current child support order is in NY, then that's where you'll have to file. Do it right away since if the court modifies the order, it will only be modified back to the date of filing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential