• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Amount of tuition reimbursement payments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bf0wler60

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state?
Ohio

I worked for a small company that provided approximately $1200.00 in tuition assistance. There is nothing in the employee handbook regarding tuition reimbursement and I did not sign any additional paperwork regarding tuition reimbursement. I have left the company (my choice) and I am making an effort ($50.00 per month) to pay back the money. I am getting letters threatening legal action and phone calls wanting me to immediately pay back the entire amount.
I am planning on repaying the entire amount because it’s the right thing to do but I cannot afford to pay the
entire amount so quickly.
I have good credit and do not want to get sued. Could I be forced to make larger payments even though I never signed or agreed to any type of repayment arrangement?

Thanks for any help.

adjusterjack

You don't have to sign a contract to have a contract. An oral contract is just as binding as a written contract.

And there doesn't have to be anything in the employee handbook about it either.

What were the terms and conditions of the tuition reimbursement assistance? In other words what did you and your employer talk about before you were handed the money? Was there anything in writing like memos or emails? If not, then whatever you and your employer talked about could be binding.

Could I be forced to make larger payments even though I never signed or agreed to any type of repayment arrangement?
If your employer sues you and gets a judgment, wage garnishment will certainly be more than $50 per month.

Whether he can win a lawsuit depends on the answers to my questions.

Bf0wler60

Thank you very much for your response. There were no discussions regarding repayment of the tuition assistance. I was already going to school when I started work and during my interview they said they would help me with my tuition when they could.
I want to pay them back however I just can’t aford to pay them back as fast as they would like me to.
I guess it wil be up to them if they want to garnish my wages. I hope they don’t.

Thanks again.

adjusterjack

I was already going to school when I started work and during my interview they said they would help me with my tuition when they could.
Who is "they"? Help you how?

What else was said and/or done between the interview and the time you were given money? How did "they" know how much to give you and when to give it to you? Were you given money more than once, like at the end of more than one semester?

There wasn't just silence about tuition from the time of your interview until somebody put money on your desk.

I want to pay them back however I just can’t afford to pay them back as fast as they would like me to.
It remains to be seen whether you even have to pay them back at all. Many businesses give tuition reimbursement without any conditions, as long as you pass.

I guess it wil be up to them if they want to garnish my wages. I hope they don’t.
If they go as far as filing a lawsuit, you can bet they will if they win.

Meantime it could just be hot air because they are annoyed that you left.

HRZ

Personally in the absence of a clear written agreement to repay the tuition I would NOT repay a dime ..why , because if you repay the some it can be postured to like like there was a repayment agreement .

PayrollHRGuy

To garnish your wages they would first have to sue you and get a judgement. If there was actually no agreement that you would owe if you didn't continue to work for them that would not have been easy for them. The fact that you seemed to have agreed to pay them back afterwards may have created such an agreement.

Bf0wler60

Thanks for the additional opinions. There was absolutelutely no discussion with my previous employer regarding repayment. As a matter of fact when I gave my notice my boss stated not to worry about repaying any of the tuition reimbursement when I brought up if he wanted it repaid. He then sent me an invoice after I had already left the company.
I have already started repaying, which I believe is the right thing to do.

Thanks again for all your advice.

Brian

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">