• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

An abandoned Bank account from a long Disolved Marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? NY

I found in the New York State Database a long dormant bank account from my Wifes previous marriage, this marriage was disolved 24 years ago, We do not know where the ex-husband is. The Bank isnt even in business anymore

How can we get the money from this abandoned Joint bank account, we do not know how much money it is, how much of an effort do we need to do to try to find the ex-husband or can she just get and keep the money since this account is 24 years old and might not even be alot of money (I dont think its more than a few thousand)

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? NY

I found in the New York State Database a long dormant bank account from my Wifes previous marriage, this marriage was disolved 24 years ago, We do not know where the ex-husband is. The Bank isnt even in business anymore

How can we get the money from this abandoned Joint bank account, we do not know how much money it is, how much of an effort do we need to do to try to find the ex-husband or can she just get and keep the money since this account is 24 years old and might not even be alot of money (I dont think its more than a few thousand)
Please have your wife join with her own user name. There is a very good reason this site prefers to deal with the actual legal party. Thank you for your understanding...
:)
Bambi.

We started the claim process, but we only filled out the form with her former name, Even the address on the account we have no access to that address

She has asked me to take care of this for her as she is not very savvy on these things (We have been married for 22 years)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The funds aren't in the account any more - they have escheated to the state. Use your favorite web search engine to determine the site for further information.

We found the account on the New York abandoned claims website and got the form notarized (Not easy since she didnt have any documentation of that former name easily accessible)

The form has been sent to the New York State Comptrollers office

Zigner

We found the account on the New York abandoned claims website and got the form notarized (Not easy since she didnt have any documentation of that former name easily accessible)

The form has been sent to the New York State Comptrollers office
She took all the steps to get the money back...and then you come here asking how to get the money back? At this point she just needs to wait.

I am asking do we have to try to find the ex-husband in order to share with him the money or can she keep it without trying to find him, We do not know where he is, We do not think he is even in the US

Zigner

At this time, she needs to wait for the response from the state. I suspect that, as joint account holders, either party "owns" 100% of the money in the account.

So its not part of any Marital assets that need to be split up in whatever way they were split up when the divorce occured 24 years ago

PayrollHRGuy

We have no idea what the status of the funds is. If the state requires both signatures the claims will not go through.

Last edited:

Zigner

So its not part of any Marital assets that need to be split up in whatever way they were split up when the divorce occured 24 years ago
How would WE know?

ETA: The State doesn't care about "marital assets" - that's a different matter.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
We have no idea what the status of the funds is. If the state requires both signatures the claims will go through.
You mean just the opposite, don't you? If the state requires both signatures then the claim will not go through since there is currently no way for the wife to get the other signature.

However, this is all speculation since the wife has not heard back from the State yet.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">