• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

An officer said my parking violation occurred 3 days it happened?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MEO1016

First of all I know this question has been asked many times and I’ve looked it up constantly but I can’t find anything specific to my situation.
Long story short, I went to a cookout at a public park since 3 pm and didn’t get back to my car till around 9. Apparently the park closes at sunset but they don’t start writing tickets till 9pm. I got there at 9:30 around the time the officer was writing the ticket. Anyways, he explained everything to me but as I got home I realized the date I dictated on my ticket was 3 days before it was written? it was written for 7/11/19 and this occurred on 7/14/19; it was written for a weekday and this occurred on a Sunday. It was issued by a county public safety officer. I’m pretty sure it’ll still count, but is 3 days a guaranteed dismissal?

quincy

First of all I know this question has been asked many times and I’ve looked it up constantly but I can’t find anything specific to my situation.
Long story short, I went to a cookout at a public park since 3 pm and didn’t get back to my car till around 9. Apparently the park closes at sunset but they don’t start writing tickets till 9pm. I got there at 9:30 around the time the officer was writing the ticket. Anyways, he explained everything to me but as I got home I realized the date I dictated on my ticket was 3 days before it was written? it was written for 7/11/19 and this occurred on 7/14/19; it was written for a weekday and this occurred on a Sunday. It was issued by a county public safety officer. I’m pretty sure it’ll still count, but is 3 days a guaranteed dismissal?
Today is Sunday, July 14. Was it today that you got the ticket?

What is the name of your state?

quincy

Yes it was today I got it.
The ticket probably won't be dismissed. It sounds to be a scrivener's error (or bad handwriting).

Does the park close at the same time every day of the week? If it always closes at sunset, or even if it always closes at 9 pm, you would still be late in leaving the park. You would still deserve the ticket.

Last edited:

MEO1016

The ticket probably won't be dismissed. It sounds to be a scrivener's error (or bad handwriting).

Does the park close at the same time every day of the week? If it always closes at sunset, or even if it always closes at 9 pm, you would still be late in leaving the park. You would still deserve the ticket.
That is what I figured, as long as everything else is correct on the ticket something small like the date doesn’t mean much, but I wasn’t 100% sure.

According to their website the park closes at 9 pm everyday, at least in the summer, but the officer specifically stated verbally and on the ticket that it closes at sunset but I doubt it matters.

quincy

That is what I figured, as long as everything else is correct on the ticket something small like the date doesn’t mean much, but I wasn’t 100% sure.

According to their website the park closes at 9 pm everyday, at least in the summer, but the officer specifically stated verbally and on the ticket that it closes at sunset but I doubt it matters.
Well ... it probably doesn't matter, this if you didn't get back to your car until after the park closed (whether sunset or 9 pm) and the officer indicated the time that the ticket was issued was 9:30 pm.

Are you sure the "11" is not a sloppy "14?"

Were others at the cookout also ticketed - or were you the last to leave?

Edit to add: The latest hour for park closings in the summer for Nassau County parks (that I found) was 9 pm. Several close at dusk or 6 pm.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">