• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Angioseal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

potsalt

What is the name of your state? Louisiana
I was admitted into the hospital for a heart catherization. when the doctor finish the procedure he closed with an angioseal that failed and caused blockage in my artery in the left leg. This caused me to lose circulation in my leg and I had to have immediate surgery which lasted for hours, after the blockage was remove I had to ly in bed without movings for more than 24 hours, this caused me a lot of pain.I continue to have problems with my leg to this day. I can no longer do the things that I use to. Such as excercising by walking and riding my bicycle. When I was admitted into the hospital I sign a consent to be treated by the doctor. does this prevent me from suing him for malpractice. My condition was not suppose to end this way. I was doing find when I went into the hospital to have the heart cath. As a matter of fact, the doctor only found a small blockage in my heart artery that he is treating with 10mg. of Lipitor daily. I had to go through all this pain and suffering for nothing. Do you think I have a case?

ellencee

potsalt said:
What is the name of your state? Louisiana
I was admitted into the hospital for a heart catherization. when the doctor finish the procedure he closed with an angioseal that failed and caused blockage in my artery in the left leg. This caused me to lose circulation in my leg and I had to have immediate surgery which lasted for hours, after the blockage was remove I had to ly in bed without movings for more than 24 hours, this caused me a lot of pain.I continue to have problems with my leg to this day. I can no longer do the things that I use to. Such as excercising by walking and riding my bicycle. When I was admitted into the hospital I sign a consent to be treated by the doctor. does this prevent me from suing him for malpractice. My condition was not suppose to end this way. I was doing find when I went into the hospital to have the heart cath. As a matter of fact, the doctor only found a small blockage in my heart artery that he is treating with 10mg. of Lipitor daily. I had to go through all this pain and suffering for nothing. Do you think I have a case?
rtyui
sdfghjkl
cvbnm

rtyui
sdfghjkl
cvbnm

rtyui
sdfghjkl
cvbnm

I just can't take another one today...go for it pz!

EC

B

butterscotch

angioseal

What you are describing does not make sense and this is why.
The angioseal is to close the insertion site to allow mobility post catherization rather than the normal prolonged pressure application. The angioseal not working is not likely to cause circulation problems, as you stated. A blood clot is more likely to be this cause. If the clot, which is eXpected, moved/ traveled to a more narrow area of the vein it caused the circulation problem.

The surgery was probably done to remove the clot. The complications of catherization happened as above. These are spelled out on the consent form you sign before you agreed to the procedure.

If the procedure was ordered, it was because you have some vascular disease and was an attempt to diagnose the eXtent of that disease. These are the things that you have to decide before consenting to any procedure: the symptoms cause you to seek medical care; the doctor diagnosis the problem and wants you to have an invasive procedure to determine the eXtent of disease; the procedure has risks; are the risks of the procedure greater than living with the symptoms and not knowing?

The choice is yours. Why would you file a malpractice suit?

nilockhart

I must say I'm a bit disappointed with your replies to potsalt. I too recently had a heart catheterization through the right femoral artery due to an abnormal stress test, and an Angio-Seal was used. We were thankful to find out that my stress test was a false negative result, and my heart was perfectly fine; no blockages whatsoever, not even a partial blockage. Four days later, I was losing circulation in my leg (numb, white, cold and not able to walk much) and was told there was blockage in the artery and they needed to do an immediate cath. through the left femoral artery to determine where and what was blocking it. They discovered the Angio-Seal worked its way into my artery causing blockage, and I have confirmed this with my doctor to make sure I understood correctly. Whether that's the way it is "supposed" to happen or not, that is what happened. The doctor placed a stent in my artery (ev3 Protege GPS 6FR/.035" 7mm x 40mm) to push the Angio-Seal up against the artery wall to open the blockage, presumably until it dissolves. This blockage was because of the Angio-Seal, NOT a blood clot. They closed the artery in the second procedure the old fashioned way by applying pressure, which I believe is what potsalt was trying to say. I can understand and sympathize with potsalt, as I too have gone through what I believe to be a second somewhat unnecessary procedure, all to find out I had no blocked arteries, not to mention the side effects now associated with the second procedure. I am concerned that the Angio-Seal is still within the artery, not on the outside like it's supposed to be, and I may have problems in the future once my body starts absorbing it. I am also concerned with the fact that I now have a stent in my rt. femoral artery to open a blockage caused by the Angio-Seal.

ecmst12

I don't see how it was an unnecessary procedure just because the results were negative. How would they know that there was nothing wrong with your heart, after the positive stress test, without doing the cath?

Also, what permanent damages have you suffered? I'm talking about functional loss, not just the fact that you have a stent in your leg. And problems that you "may have" in the future don't count either.

nilockhart

Perhaps this site was not the most appropriate for me to post my message (now that I see it is for malpractice). I am not interested in filing a malpractice suit, I merely wanted to clarify that potsalt's comment about the Angio-Seal entering his artery IS possible. I have been told by a doctor (not an interventional cardiologist) that we all have collagen in our bodies, but only on the exterior of the artery wall, not inside of them, and that if collagen enters your bloodstream, it can possibly cause significant complications such as heart attack, stroke, bleeding, infection, death, etc. As for my procedure(s), you are absolutely correct, the first one was necessary, otherwise, we wouldn't have found out everything was great. The second one I have to question as it was a frustrating process to discover it was a result of the Angio-Seal. My sincere apologies for not reading more thoroughly before posting.

ellencee

The original post is five months old...but...
I'm not a fan of angio-seal. I consider it like placing a wad of chewing gum in an artery, but hey, I'm not a pharmaceutical device developer or a cardiologist. I just take care of the patients who receive an angio-seal post heart cath. Patients didn't like the sandbag treatment because they had to lie still for so long and even with the best of care, some patients developed blood clots and required a stent. Angio-seal gets the patient up and about in a much shorter time, which in male patients is a real plus since most men can't urniate while lying on their backs and not only is discomfort a problem, blood pressure rises causing other potential problems. Yet, men when confronted with an offer of a urinary catheter most often act like complete fools and say 'no' in various degrees of emphatic verbage (like there are nerve endings inside the penis, hah!).

Folks, there is no sure method of punching a major hole in a major artery and having the artery close without developing a clot and sometimes requiring follow-up treatment, ie. a stent. It doesn't matter if it's angio-seal or a blood clot that forms; it's gonna happen in a certain percentage of patients and the risks are right there in black and white in the consent form that patients sign. A stent is much better than losing the leg; the former doesn't prevent bike-riding or anything else, whereas the latter can hinder many activities.

EC

Betty

Statistics show that patients who had angio seal after heart cath rather than pressure to stop bleeding, bled less, were able to walk sooner, were able to use rest room sooner & leave earlier. Complications can develop with the use of the angio seal as they can with any procedure or operation. As several other posters mentioned, the risks would have been in the consent form you were required to sign.

SnapperPI

I lost a leg due to an AngioSeal which came loose and went down my leg. I NEED to understand how this device failed. I am struggling to keep the manufacturer in a lawsuit! PLEASE HELP!

PayrollHRGuy

I lost a leg due to an AngioSeal which came loose and went down my leg. I NEED to understand how this device failed. I am struggling to keep the manufacturer in a lawsuit! PLEASE HELP!
This is a 14-year-old thread. If you are a claimant in such a case you need to talk to your lawyer.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
you are posting to a thread that is only maintained for archival purpose. You should really start your own thread for additional questions.

I will say a few things here, though:
First, I'm sorry that you lost your leg.
Second, we really can't help you understand how the device failed. Only a medical expert will be able to do that.
Third, you really need to speak to an attorney. Your matter is far beyond what this (or any) internet forum can help you with. You have a very serious matter here. Do a web search for an attorney who handles medical device failures in your area.

I wish you the best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">