• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Annulment Possibility?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kissyhugs

What is the name of your state? Indiana

My boyfriend and I are planning to get married soon in Indiana. He was previously married in Indiana (Lake County) in 1993 when he was 18, but they only lived together for 2 months and have been separated with little, then no contact ever since. There are no marital assets and no children from that union. Does he have grounds to file for annulment or would he still have to file for divorce? What happens if we can't locate her? Is this a do-it-yourself situation? I have downloaded divorce instructions and forms already, but I would like to get your opinion on the situation first.
Thanks for your help!!

Carolyn

LdiJ

kissyhugs said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana

My boyfriend and I are planning to get married soon in Indiana. He was previously married in Indiana (Lake County) in 1993 when he was 18, but they only lived together for 2 months and have been separated with little, then no contact ever since. There are no marital assets and no children from that union. Does he have grounds to file for annulment or would he still have to file for divorce? What happens if we can't locate her? Is this a do-it-yourself situation? I have downloaded divorce instructions and forms already, but I would like to get your opinion on the situation first.
Thanks for your help!!

Carolyn
Since so much time has passed a divorce is likely to be necessary. Its usually quicker and easier (and therefore less expensive) anyway. However, because you don't know where she is...it really would be better to use an attorney. This really isn't a do it yourself project.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">