• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Anonymous question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SHE11

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana

I sent an anonymous complaint to my local law enforcement about an industry constantly making loud noises. The noise came from a steam pressure valve that only should release under emergency conditions but releases for hours. For this industry they have excess material from grinding sugar cane and the excess material (bagass) is burned in the boiler. The boiler generates too much steam and releases to the atmosphere with tremendous noises for hours. The mill could save the extra bagass on site and steam would not open the PSV. My parish is reviewing the anonymous complaint but they say I need to give my contact information. I also complained to OSHA and they did allow my anonymous complaint and acted on it in the past. I alerted my parish about this and asked them to work with their legal department to see if my anonymous complaint could be used for enforcement. What knowledge you have about anonymous complaints regarding if the complaint can be used for enforcement especially if the parish can visit and easily hear the noise? Also any help on the noise issue would be greatly appreciated.
Regards

Last edited:

CdwJava

In general these types of complaints require that someone's peace be disturbed. Anonymous likely won't cover it. Other organizations might look into the matter to see that safety rules are followed, but to act on a noise complaint they need a person to be affected by the noise, and likely have to show that the noise was intentional and malicious.

From a legal perspective, anonymous complaints are largely worthless. All they really do is point a finger in a direction, but if the allegation requires a complaining party then they provide enforcement authorities with few options.

If this is a truly annoying problem and you want the company to be on notice to correct the problem, you may have to go on record. However, I suspect that so long as the operation is up to code and legal, and the area is zoned properly, you may be out of luck trying to force them to quiet down.

SHE11

Thanks for a well described understanding. I just found out my state DEQ does regulate noise pollution and I sent a request to them although anonymous. I will see what DEQ says. If this fails there is another method I could use as a last result. Others in the community are affected but do not complain. My plan is to make an internet site indicating one may be able to collect financial compensation in a small claims court for this industry disturbing the peace. I am now asking my local officials who can be contacted to see if a small claims can be used for this situation. I'll do my home work first before I publish my site. I would hate to do this because I would feel like a snake in the grass.
Note: If I am known as the one working this issue then I am exposed to all possible feedback and I am very vulnerable and must never let anyone know, if you know what I mean. But many others would not be vulnerable to the industry and would be glad to collect small claims.

Last edited:

SHE11

The other side of the fence

Had some time to review the concept of anonymous complaints. A federal agency OSHA does not require a name to enforce illegal activities of industries. This seems would be a president for other law enforcement officials to consider. If there is an easily determined illegal activity of an Industry then law enforcement should not need a contact to enforce the law. If law enforcement needs a contact to enforce illegal activities then I believe law enforcement is not doing their job.
Please share your knowledge about my thoughts.

In my case I have said the industry is relieving a PSV for hours. I want to share what this means and I am an engineer who engineers psv's. A steam psv is sized for emergency conditions only and when they relieve it sounds like a bomb has go off. I have been there when PSV's blow and it is very scary. Now imaging a steam psv blowing for hours. My house is about 2 miles from this industry and the sound is so loud at 2 miles that it is equivalent to half the volume of a lawn machine. This is horrendous. As I am typing on my computer inside my house the PSV noise is about half the volume of someone talking to me. Imagine the volume outside!

Last edited:

justalayman

Had some time to review the concept of anonymous complaints. A federal agency OSHA does not require a name to enforce illegal activities of industries. This seems would be a president for other law enforcement officials to consider.!
do you really believe that? OSHA cannot come into a business unless the company allows it or the inspector has a warrant. If you make an anonymous complaint, they treat is as if you are not an employee at the particular company so chances of them getting a warrant for such is extremely low, if at all possible.

Why do you believe the government has the right to basically bust into a private business and search the place?

This is horrendous. As I am typing on my computer inside my house the PSV noise is about half the volume of someone talking to me. Imagine the volume outside!
Yet nobody else complains?

My plan is to make an internet site indicating one may be able to collect financial compensation in a small claims court for this industry disturbing the peace.
what makes you believe that? Do you happen to know any applicable laws that would allow such an award?

Last edited:

Hot Topic

How are the authorities to know that your complaint doesn't come from someone seeking revenge against the company for whatever reason?

Your insistance on remaining anonymous weakens your position.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">