• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Another question about tax return

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

my ex is psycho

What is the name of your state? GA, ex is in FL

So, I read the post about the extra tax return, but have another question.

My ex is thousands of $ behind in cs and so all his normal returns go to me automatically. But, he knows that and now either- 1- doesn't file, or 2- has his wife file, without his info on it so they can't come to me.

So, my question is- if he files under his wife this year to try to get the extra return, does it come to me? If his ss# is on the tax return anywhere- does it still come to me, or only if he files as the primary person? Is there anyway I can find out if he does this and have it corrected?

TIA!

scoir99

what??

To begin with a spouse does not "file under the others name" they either filed married filing joint or married filing seperate. If married filing seperate FMS will seize what portion of his return is owed for child support and forward it to where it should go. If filing joint without and injured spouse form the entire amount of return do to both of them will go through same process. If filing joint with and injured spouse form, his portion of the return can be seized. Now that said may also not be in federal system but can also be seized as state funds too in some states. Lastly, if he is not filing to avoid you getting the refund maybe explain to him that that is stupid as to the fact that not filing is a crime in most cases and more importantly refund amount taken would reduce amount he owes and either way none of the funds would be his so why not just dig yourself out of the whole somewhat?

my ex is psycho

If filing joint without and injured spouse form

Lastly, if he is not filing to avoid you getting the refund maybe explain to him that that is stupid as to the fact that not filing is a crime
I am not familiar with this filing type.. can you explain more?

LMBO- this is the man that owed me over $21 thousand, and took me to court stating that "when he called, I refused to allow him to speak to the children, and he was only able to leave a message on the answering machine". If you haven't fallen off the chair laughing yet- go back and read that again... My lawyer couldn't stop laughing, he said it was a slam-dunk case and repeatedly asked me how xh could be so stupid. The judge listened to his crap, heard me say how much he owed- then threw him in jail until he could come up with $5000. Even after that, he still hasn't learned his lesson- he hasn't paid since. I have received one tax return since then.. none after that and that was about 3 years ago.

scoir99

if one is married you have only two choices on how to file

1-married filing joint, you both file one return together combining everything

2-married filing seperate, you each file your own return claiming your own income and deductions, if one itemizes both must.

the last is an injured spouse form that can be filed along with the return if filing married filing joint. If this form is filed the injured spouse, the one who does not owe the debt that would cause the refund to be seized, get their portion of the return while the correct agency takes the guilty spouse portion to pay off the debt.

my ex is psycho

So the extra return that we are supposed to get ($600 for couples, plus $300 per child)- is that only after you file your taxes, then it comes to you... or is it automatically sent to everyone? Either way- that kind of return goes to me since he is sooo far behind?

TIA!

scoir99

that is up to 300 per person on the return based on earned income or if no earned income then a few other types of income. It is a tax incentive and will not likely go to you if he filed and qualifies but not all of this is worked out yet still. If and thats a big if, it works like the advance EIC a few years ago this will offset amoutn to be returned in income taxes next year, but nothing definate yet.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">