• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Another sad break-up story

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Teeeee

What is the name of your state? indiana

lived together 5 yrs., engaged to be married, broke up. he gave me a computer for combined birthday/Christmas gift, now he's sueing for the cost of the computer. will he win? how do i prove it was a gift?

counter-suit- should i counter sue for items that we bought jointly that he took while i was at work?

JETX

Q1) "will he win?"
A1) Sorry, but my crystal ball is still in the shop. Further, without any information on what evidence he might have to show that there was an agreement to repay him (if that is his claim), or what information you have to defend against his claim, we really cannot foretell what might happen.

Q2) "how do i prove it was a gift?"
A2) Obviously, if you have a signed statement from him that the computer was a gift... it would help. However, lacking that, gather ANYTHING that you can use to defend against his claim that the computer was anything other than a gift. It will also help that the burden of proving that you are obligated to repay him is on him..... and that can be a very hard thing to prove.

Q3) "counter-suit- should i counter sue for items that we bought jointly that he took while i was at work?"
A3) Same argument here... if you can prove the existence of any agreement (written is best) that the items were purchased with your funds and that he would reimburse you.... go for it. If you are making a general claim.... we purchased this, now you owe me, no.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">