• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Another Trademark use for my services

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Danny1897

Hi, I would like to know if I'm able to use 'another companies' trademark to describe my service. My service provides a simple way to save money monthly on one of 'that' specific companies products

Last edited:

justalayman

Hi, I would like to know if I'm able to use 'another companies' trademark to describe my service. My service provides a simple way to save money monthly on one of 'that' specific companies products
Possibly.

You cannot use their trademark in any way that confuses the reader that would make them believe you are associated with their company. It would have to be as a descriptive use only.

As an example, I can sell floor mats that fit a 2019 Ford F-150. I can advertise them as such.

If the trademark is an image, it’s probable you could not use it for your purposes. I couldn’t use the Ford logo in my advertising.

You should have your specific intended use reviewed by an attorney.

quincy

What is the name of your state or, if not in the US, what is the name of your country?

You can use other's trademarks in a descriptive way (e.g., describe a car as a Ford Mustang) but you cannot use other's trademarks to promote your own product/service, confusing consumers into thinking you are in any way affiliated with or endorsed by the trademark holder (if you are not). And logo use should be avoided because some logos are original and creative enough to not only be trademarks but to be protected under copyright laws (one exclusive right held by a copyright holder being the exclusive right to "copy" or reproduce the work).

You would be smart to have your proposed uses of others' trademarks personally reviewed by an IP professional in your area.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
mkspc, as per the terms that you agreed to when signing up, commercial posting is not allowed. In fact, it could subject you to monetary penalties. Please also keep something in mind: Respectable attorneys don't troll internet message boards for clients.

quincy

mkspc, as per the terms that you agreed to when signing up, commercial posting is not allowed. In fact, it could subject you to monetary penalties. Please also keep something in mind: Respectable attorneys don't troll internet message boards for clients.
We sure seem to get a lot of disrespectable ones, however. ;)

“You are disrespectable, sir,” said the Lord Mayor. “Disrespectful, my lord!” returned the old gentleman. “I was respectful five times yesterday. I can’t be respectful forever...”

- Barnaby Rudge, Charles Dickens

This thread is from March 2019.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">