• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Anti-Pyramid Act, Ohio

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

skeesiks

My husband recently was invited to join a "gifting" program in which you give $2,000.00 to join the group, and supposedly in a few weeks you get a huge return on your money. I have done some research on the web and this sounds like the same type of thing that was just shut down in New Jersey. The Superior Court Judge there ruled that it was an illegal pyramid scheme.

My husband was assured that this was legal, was set up by a doctor and a lawyer in Tennessee. The money you give is a gift and you sign a paper stating this and that you don't expect anything in return.

It clearly looked like a pyramid scheme to me as soon as I looked at the papers on it. I told my husband not to join, but he ignored my advice. The person who invited him into it was his brother, who was invited by his son (my husband's nephew).

You can see I am in a rather difficult position. If I call the Attorney General's office, my husband could be in big trouble, although I see him, his brother and nephew as victims in this whole thing. I will probably be in hot water with my husband's family as well.

Also, what are my rights and responsibilities in this matter? Am I in trouble if I don't notify the Attorney General's office?

Except for traffic tickets, we have never been in legal trouble before.

ALawyer

You are right -- it certainly sounds like an illegal pyramid scheme. ANd everyone who sets one up claims it is legal....

He is not in trouble for falling for it, and he and I doubt that you and he have any obligation to report it to anyone. However, if he sends out the letters and recruits others he is probably doing something wrong, and could get caught up in something when and if it breaks (and eventually all pyramid schemes break down).

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">