• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Anxiety- Deployment/ Custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

twoodstock66

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I am in the National Guard. I re-enlisted two years ago. Since then my civilian life has changed. I'll start at the beginning... both my daughters did reside with my ex-wife in Florida. They lived there for 4 years. I had found out that my oldest child was not mine through a DNA. This is not the issue. We all knew of this. My ex-wife remarried and started to get into drinking and other social problems. She was arrested for domestic violence and such, a real mess and her parential skills began to falter. This sparked an investigation to get my children out of that environment. I collected documentation and information in this regards. I retained a lawyer after getting in the military for the second time. My civilian lawyer stated that the best interest of the children was indeed to get them out of that environment. He did state however, that it be feasible to only get your biological child first, because I may have problems trying to get the non-biological. I agreed and we pursued the issue. The non-biological also was receiving medication for numerous amounts of mental problems in the past. She had severe problems with school since she was little. I begged my ex to let her live with me prior to joining the National Guard and she agreed. She changed her mind towards the end of the non-biological's school year. This crushed me and the non-biological child. So now I had no choice but to get the biological. During this time the non-biological attempted to drown the biological and then two days later attempted to throw her into an electric fence used to contain horses. This automatically created an extended stay of the biological child with me, until the investigation was over. It was emergency extended visitation according to the court. The court investigated, but agreed the child return back to the environment for which I pulled her out of for her safety. The friend of the court heard limited testimony and such, but made a decision that she return to Florida with her mom and sister and that I was the root cause of all of it. I appealled and won. My daughter has been residing with me since the emergency visitation. My ex gave up in court without a lawyer and without a full custody hearing. After all this information I have given you, I have found out that we are being deployed and that I will lose custody of my daughter. I found out by a jag officer that she has the right because there was no trial. I am trying to get out for the safety of my daughter, but I don't know what to do. Do I have a shot at a hardship discharge? Please sent me whatever info, you can give me. I have talked to my unit and they agree that I have a problem, but I don't know if I can trust them in how sincere they should be. They already stated they are worried about losing a good soldier. To me that is not a good sign. What do I do?

Thank you

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

twoodstock66 said:

I am in the National Guard. I re-enlisted two years ago. Since then my civilian life has changed. I'll start at the beginning... both my daughters did reside with my ex-wife in Florida. They lived there for 4 years. I had found out that my oldest child was not mine through a DNA. This is not the issue. We all knew of this. My ex-wife remarried and started to get into drinking and other social problems. She was arrested for domestic violence and such, a real mess and her parential skills began to falter. This sparked an investigation to get my children out of that environment. I collected documentation and information in this regards. I retained a lawyer after getting in the military for the second time. My civilian lawyer stated that the best interest of the children was indeed to get them out of that environment. He did state however, that it be feasible to only get your biological child first, because I may have problems trying to get the non-biological. I agreed and we pursued the issue. The non-biological also was receiving medication for numerous amounts of mental problems in the past. She had severe problems with school since she was little. I begged my ex to let her live with me prior to joining the National Guard and she agreed. She changed her mind towards the end of the non-biological's school year. This crushed me and the non-biological child. So now I had no choice but to get the biological. During this time the non-biological attempted to drown the biological and then two days later attempted to throw her into an electric fence used to contain horses. This automatically created an extended stay of the biological child with me, until the investigation was over. It was emergency extended visitation according to the court. The court investigated, but agreed the child return back to the environment for which I pulled her out of for her safety. The friend of the court heard limited testimony and such, but made a decision that she return to Florida with her mom and sister and that I was the root cause of all of it. I appealled and won. My daughter has been residing with me since the emergency visitation. My ex gave up in court without a lawyer and without a full custody hearing. After all this information I have given you, I have found out that we are being deployed and that I will lose custody of my daughter. I found out by a jag officer that she has the right because there was no trial. I am trying to get out for the safety of my daughter, but I don't know what to do. Do I have a shot at a hardship discharge? Please sent me whatever info, you can give me. I have talked to my unit and they agree that I have a problem, but I don't know if I can trust them in how sincere they should be. They already stated they are worried about losing a good soldier. To me that is not a good sign. What do I do?

Thank you

My response:

Everybody has a family. Everybody has a "hardship" story. Everybody has an excuse.

You received the benefits of being in the Reserves, and now, when your country calls you to action, you turn into a sniveling little child.

Oh, no my friend. You're going. You're going to the front lines and you're going to do your job just like the rest of your "brothers" and "sisters" who did before you - - and who are currently there in Iraq.

You remind me of that crying, sniveling, coward soldier that got slapped by General George S. Patton.

IAAL

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
twoodstock66 said:

I begged my ex to let her live with me prior to joining the National Guard and she agreed.
Here's what doesn't make sense... This sentence of yours makes it sound as though you knew there was an issue before re-upping... Why did you re-sign? You are likely to have quite a problem getting a discharge at this point.

dequeendistress

Our local guardsmen just left for training and then on to Bagdad.

My ex went to Kuwait in 99 due to his membership in the guard. He got out as soon as possible as the rumors were they were to go to Bosnia next. You should have got out while you could instead of collecting the bonus for resigning.

All the members of the guard, reserve, military have family.

My father had two tours in Vietnam, while I was looking for him in my neighbors back yard....

Deal with it, you get the benefits, then do your duty for yourself, your family and your country.

Why did you join in the first place...Don't answer, just think about it.

God Bless America.

And here my brother was anxious to get called up for active duty even though he has a baby on the way... To each his own, I guess.

T

twoodstock66

Listen, all of you. I was in from 1985-1989. Then I rejoined AFTER my divorce in 2001. I signed up before knowing the problems with my ex, my ex was a good mother at one time. People change. I did however know there were some mental problems with the non-biological, but I didn't expect my youngest to be in danger. This is not about me fighting for my country, this is about fighting for my child and HER safety. I was in PRIOR, if all of you don't understand, when I found out about even asttempting to get my child out of that environment. So Liable apparently you have no educational background to even understand the word PRIOR. Get over me- this is about my ENDANGERED daughter. I had full intentions of going to IRAQ, a JAG officer (does everyone know what that is?), told me different. I can't believe the military, who protects this country and all of you, has more compassion that the civilians who already live all comfy in their little homes while individuals like myself who already served once get spit in the face when they have a problem. God forbid you ever go through a circumstance like I have gone through. So how about it Liable, why don't you pack your cowardice bags and you head to Bagdad yourself, but put your child with a criminal first.

dequeendistress

I see you missed the gulf war also.

What responsibility does the mother have to protect her child?

Do we know what JAG is.... Yessir' so what?

Have you actually filed your papers for a hardship exemption?

Has your unit been mobilized/activated?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Lose the attitude, already. Your post and the timing involved is extremely confusing. Do you think we're mind-readers who can divine when you were and were not in the service and how that correlates with your divorce? Sheesh.

T

twoodstock66

Does a father have a right to protect his child from a irrational, dysfunctional mother and an unstable sibling? I don't know I'm asking. What is more important, because I'm trying to be rational. I have invested a lot of thought about this. Remember I had full , I mean full intentions no questions asked to go to the battle lines, BEFORE my daughter's life was in DANGER from her SIBLING. I still guess we can't read.

dequeendistress

Since you did not answer I will assume your unit is activated.

Why did you not file to get out before, when the issue of the child came up?

T

twoodstock66

I just found out last weekend. There was another time we almost got deployed. I made arrangements to have my daughter taken care of by my mother. I did the power of attorney and all the legal stuff. This was last year, so I had full intensions last year, but was never informed by anyone until we all saw a jag officer who told me last weekend that I WILL lose my daughter and she will most likely have to go back to that dangerous environment on this possible deployment. I was never informed, I thought everything was hunky-dorry until I talked to him. I thought my mother would have custody of my endangered child so the ex couldn't come and take her away. I have done everything I could to fight for my country and ensure the safety of my daughter. I was simply asking individuals out there if they ever served( which seems to me some haven't) and could intellectually inform me of some other means to handle this. Real simple, but some feel its necessary to stir **** up instead of knowing the real deal. You have to read to understand the English language.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

twoodstock66 said:
Listen, all of you. I was in from 1985-1989. Then I rejoined AFTER my divorce in 2001. I signed up before knowing the problems with my ex, my ex was a good mother at one time. People change. I did however know there were some mental problems with the non-biological, but I didn't expect my youngest to be in danger. This is not about me fighting for my country, this is about fighting for my child and HER safety. I was in PRIOR, if all of you don't understand, when I found out about even asttempting to get my child out of that environment. So Liable apparently you have no educational background to even understand the word PRIOR. Get over me- this is about my ENDANGERED daughter. I had full intentions of going to IRAQ, a JAG officer (does everyone know what that is?), told me different. I can't believe the military, who protects this country and all of you, has more compassion that the civilians who already live all comfy in their little homes while individuals like myself who already served once get spit in the face when they have a problem. God forbid you ever go through a circumstance like I have gone through. So how about it Liable, why don't you pack your cowardice bags and you head to Bagdad yourself, but put your child with a criminal first.

My response:

It's worth repeating . . .

Everybody has a family. Everybody has a "hardship" story. Everybody has an excuse.

You received the benefits of being in the Reserves, and now, when your country calls you to action, you turn into a sniveling little child.

Oh, no my friend. You're going. You're going to the front lines and you're going to do your job just like the rest of your "brothers" and "sisters" who did before you - - and who are currently there in Iraq.

You remind me of that crying, sniveling, coward soldier that got slapped by General George S. Patton.

IAAL

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Forget it. This just isn't an argument worth having. Good luck finding the information you seek.

T

twoodstock66

In response to Stealth: There is no couple at the moment, only me. Do you understand? My daughter WILL be in harms way if she goes back to her mother and sibling. What the heck, makes me any different than a civilian when protecting my child's life. Is it because I am a man? I don't understand. There are no differences when it comes to protecting my daughter. Which would you choose: My child's life- The country. Before being judgemental, put my shoes on for a minute. Then make a determination. I don't see Liable writing anymore, what happened?

dequeendistress

You just found out you were going to be deployed last weekend?

This situation is why you should have finished your last court battle when you attained full custody of the child instead of just letting it go when your ex did not show with an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">