• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

any advice is helpful

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

a&c's mom

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?new hampshire

I wanted to know what the court usally will do to an ex-husband that is in contempt several times for paying his child support late and for not paying it at all? And if he has any legally rights to say who is around my kids if those persons are not hurting the children in anyway?

ZILLY

I wanted to know what the court usally will do to an ex-husband that is in contempt several times for paying his child support late and for not paying it at all?
Have you filed for any contempt hearings against him? If so, request the courts send a notice of non-compliance, he'll have so many days to make a payment, if he doesn't, there will be a non-compliance hearing and the judge will decide from there. Usually, he'll have to pay a percentage owed to avoid jail time.

And if he has any legally rights to say who is around my kids if those persons are not hurting the children in anyway?
Yes. He is the father and as long as the children are safe from whomever is around, he can have anyone around them that he pleases.

BelizeBreeze

a&c's mom said:
I wanted to know what the court usally will do to an ex-husband that is in contempt several times for paying his child support late and for not paying it at all?
Nothing without you filing a petition to show cause for Contempt of a court order. One word of advice. If it's just because he's late, don't bother. If it's because he hasn't paid and you have proof of his non-payment on more than one ocassion, then file.
And if he has any legally rights to say who is around my kids if those persons are not hurting the children in anyway?
Not unless you have a 'first right of refusal' clause in your custody order. Otherwise, he (and you when the children are with him) can pound sand.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
ZILLY said:
Yes. He is the father and as long as the children are safe from whomever is around, he can have anyone around them that he pleases.
That wasn't OP's question. She wants to know if Dad can tell her who SHE can have around the kids. The answer is no, assuming that they are no danger to the children.

a&c's mom

new hampshire

Yes i have filed the paperwork already. just go it in the mail today and we go to court in a few weeks. i filed 2 contempts on him and a petition to change court orders. As far as i know we don't have a right to refusal cause in any of our orders. I've never told him who he can have around the kids but he has tried it with me. Can a judge order him to see a some kind of head doctor or for him to get an evaluation for psychological problems?

BelizeBreeze

a&c's mom said:
Can a judge order him to see a some kind of head doctor or for him to get an evaluation for psychological problems?
Sure can. The same way the judge can order you to submit to such an examination.

a&c's mom

new hampshire

theres only one thing i don't need one he does. When you have supervised visits how does that usally work? Who's there to supervise them?

BelizeBreeze

a&c's mom said:
new hampshire

theres only one thing i don't need one he does. When you have supervised visits how does that usally work? Who's there to supervise them?
This doesn't deserve an answer. First, you came here looking for advice regarding support payments and the process of filing contempt.

now it's supervised visits and psych evals? Where did you draw that circle?

Unless you have compelling evidence that he would pose a danger to HIS child, supervised visitation isn't going to happen. As for the psych eval, if you start playing that game without VERY SOLID evidence that one is required to keep HIS child safe, then you'd better be ready to defend yourself from the very same demand.

These are childish games.

a&c's mom

new hampshire
For one thing i came on here to ask advice from people that have gone through this stuff before and had answers to questions not for someone to bash me for asking a simple question.
Before bashing someone maybe you should ask why i ask about supervised visits and psych evals first. Then decide to bash me if you don't like the answer i give.
Second of all since me and my husband spilt up a year and a half ago, since then he has been arrested 3 times. 1. domestic violence 2. violateing a restraining order 3. domestic violence, trespassing, treating and misuse of power. All of which was done in front of my children. He has contiued to harass me in any way he finds possiable. I have been called every name you could possiably think of, i have been spit on, been threated to be killed, followed, and have had him throw objects at my car, and yes he knows every move i make because he follows me and watching everything. He has taught my kids that it is ok to call mommie names and to not listen to anyone else. My children have been gooing through a very tough time dealing with all these things that he has done in front of them and i'm just trying to find a way to keep my kids safe physically and mentally. What do you tell a 4 year old little boy when he comes home from daddy's house and tells you that his daddy told him he wishes mommy would just die. You tell me because i haven't been able to firgure what to tell them.

BelizeBreeze

a&c's mom said:
new hampshire
For one thing i came on here to ask advice from people that have gone through this stuff before and had answers to questions not for someone to bash me for asking a simple question.
For one thing, this is a LEGAL ADVICE site. Not a "awww poor baby" site. Valid Legal advice has nothing to do with going through the same thing.
Before bashing someone maybe you should ask why i ask about supervised visits and psych evals first. Then decide to bash me if you don't like the answer i give.
It doesn't matter why you asked. What matters is the court's opinion and why you didn't bring this up in your very first post. As I have already told you, you can ask for them as well as he can ask.
Second of all since me and my husband spilt up a year and a half ago, since then he has been arrested 3 times. 1. domestic violence 2. violateing a restraining order 3. domestic violence, trespassing, treating and misuse of power. All of which was done in front of my children. He has contiued to harass me in any way he finds possiable. I have been called every name you could possiably think of, i have been spit on, been threated to be killed, followed, and have had him throw objects at my car, and yes he knows every move i make because he follows me and watching everything. He has taught my kids that it is ok to call mommie names and to not listen to anyone else. My children have been gooing through a very tough time dealing with all these things that he has done in front of them and i'm just trying to find a way to keep my kids safe physically and mentally. What do you tell a 4 year old little boy when he comes home from daddy's house and tells you that his daddy told him he wishes mommy would just die. You tell me because i haven't been able to firgure what to tell them.
And of course, your believability is lessened when you don't bring these issues up immediately. Instead you played 20 questions and your lucky anyone had the patience to stick around.

As to supervised visitaiton, you MAY get it, but it's not a RIGHT and it's not automatic. And also, the things your ex has been doing have been to you, NOT the children. And supervised visitaiton is reserved for the safety of the children.

So you'd better have a more substantial case than what you've presented here.

As for the psych eval, VERY doubtful. What spouse hasn't wished their ex was dead, missing or just plain gone? You have no basis on which to substantiate a finding that a psych eval is warranted much less demand one.

LdiJ

Ok...I have to disagree a bit.

Psych evals are not at all uncommon when child custody is being decided. What this poster doesn't understand however is that if the court orders one for dad, they will almost automatically order one for mom as well. The evaluator can't make a valid recommendation without evaluating both parents.

I also think that we get too impatient sometimes with people who don't give all the info up front. I honestly disagree that someone who gives more info later is automatically "withholding"...or embellishing. I honestly think that many people honestly think that they have a simple question and don't understand the relevance of other details.

a&c's mom

LdiJ said:
Ok...I have to disagree a bit.

Psych evals are not at all uncommon when child custody is being decided. What this poster doesn't understand however is that if the court orders one for dad, they will almost automatically order one for mom as well. The evaluator can't make a valid recommendation without evaluating both parents.

I also think that we get too impatient sometimes with people who don't give all the info up front. I honestly disagree that someone who gives more info later is automatically "withholding"...or embellishing. I honestly think that many people honestly think that they have a simple question and don't understand the relevance of other details.
Thank you. And if the court orders one then i have no problem taken one.
And your right about just haveing a few questions that i didn't know about.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">