• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Any case to sue??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Amoz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

Recently I wenty to a restaurant. After leaving I realized that I had left my glasses on the table. I called the restaurant and the manager confirmed that he had found it and will keep it safe until I get back. I returned 5 days later, but the glasses were no where to be found even though two other employees had seen it and could describe it. Per manager he had placed it in the Lost/Found box which is a box not secured but out of reach of the customers but but not employees. The glasses were expensice and the owner refuses to take responsibility. Do I have a case to sue them for the price of the glasses and aggrivation caused?

Thanks

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

Recently I wenty to a restaurant. After leaving I realized that I had left my glasses on the table. I called the restaurant and the manager confirmed that he had found it and will keep it safe until I get back. I returned 5 days later, but the glasses were no where to be found even though two other employees had seen it and could describe it. Per manager he had placed it in the Lost/Found box which is a box not secured but out of reach of the customers but but not employees. The glasses were expensice and the owner refuses to take responsibility. Do I have a case to sue them for the price of the glasses and aggrivation caused?

Thanks
So, you left your expensive glasses there for 5 days before you got around to retrieving them? Right...

ETA:
Yes, you can sue. No, you don't have a case. And, "aggravation" is not something you could recover even if you DID have a case.

Roo

No. It's not their fault you left your glasses. Additionally, five days is a long time to wait.

tranquility

This is a forced baliment for your benefit. They have only to give slight care to the property to protect themselves. Keeping things away from customers seems to meet that.

Amoz

What type of site is this?

I asked for advice and what I got (mostly) was sarcastic remarks. And all remarks seemed to come for "Senior Memberr." For example, what is VeronicaLoge's problem. I noticed that all she offers on her posts are one liner sarcastic remarks to people who might actually need advice. Sad to see such good site go to such waste.

cyjeff

Feel better? Good.

Doesn't change the fact that you had a responsibility to get back to the restaurant to reclaim your property and didn't do so in a reasonable manner.

Were these glasses prescription or an expensive pair of sunglasses?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">