• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Any Courses on Trust?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Life2212

I would like to find a good course that teaches trust so that I can learn how to do this for myself. As it relates to my estate and other things

Just Blue

I would like to find a good course that teaches trust so that I can learn how to do this for myself. As it relates to my estate and other things
Yours is not a legal question and this isn't a referral site.

Try googling your state and trust educational venues.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
That's not an easy or quick subject to learn well enough to draft a well written trust instrument. The state trust code is just the starting point, you also need to understand the rules created by the courts through their decisions (which is called case law). There are books out there that you give the basics, but they typically don't get into the details any particular state's trust law and that matters because the trust laws and court opinions on trust matters vary from state to state. For some parts of trust law the rules vary significantly from state to state.

Bear this in mind too: how you set up the trust and what terms it has for distributions from the trust will affect the taxes the trust and its beneificiares pay on trust income. Get this wrong and you and your beneficiaries may end up paying a lot more in tax than if did some good tax planning.

If you have a law school near you might want to check to see if it will allow you to sit in on a trust course and what that would cost you.

My recommendation is that you see a trust attorney to get the trust set up and running. That's likely to cost you less than scrambling around trying find materials that will teach you about trusts and the trust prepared by an attorney is much less likely to have significant errors or omissions in them that will result in some distribution you would not have wanted.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">