• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Any options for my pension when laid off?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wartrace

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee.

My plant is closing down, we are all being laid off. The company has a pension plan in place with two different tiers. They have a traditional plan & a plan they started ten years ago for new employees that built up a "cash value". They have allowed employees with the "cash" plan to cash out their pension when they leave. I have been told I can't access my pension due to it being in the traditional plan. I would like to know if this is correct? I can't help but think that if I rolled it over into an IRA I would be better off in the long run.

Are there any options for an employee to roll over a pension plan into an IRA?

Beth3

Nobody but your employer knows anything about the particulars of their pension/retirement plans so it's impossible to advise you. If you doubt what your employer is saying, ask them for a copy of the retirement plan document(s) and then take it to an experienced investment advisor or an attorney who specializes in employee benefits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">