• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Any recourse vs utility company for $600 charge for leak?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

juntjoo

Florida

Apparently this happens all the time as I've found but I find it incredible that it's normal for people to get stuck with such high water bills for water that gets accidentally used and how easy it is for the amounts to add up as with mine $600 within a few days of a leak I didn't notice. If they were selling you cows which you accidentally infected with a disease or something I understand you couldn't expect to be able to return them for a refund but does the water actually cost them anything? And if it were about avoiding being taken advantage of by water thieves, is this such a problem at all? I don't even have a pool. I'd think that such a service would require a failsafe like a system of alerting customers when the meter exceeds a specified usage, otherwise we have this situation where these utility companies are making a killing off often unavoidable leaks which may be okay according to their policies but not ethical at all in my view. Is there any recourse? There must be some protections for the consumer here. Depending on the circumstances, a person in a dire financial bind + simply a busted underground pipe + a few days gone by could result in a really bad but unnecessary damaging situation.

Just Blue

Florida

Apparently this happens all the time as I've found but I find it incredible that it's normal for people to get stuck with such high water bills for water that gets accidentally used and how easy it is for the amounts to add up as with mine $600 within a few days of a leak I didn't notice. If they were selling you cows which you accidentally infected with a disease or something I understand you couldn't expect to be able to return them for a refund but does the water actually cost them anything? And if it were about avoiding being taken advantage of by water thieves, is this such a problem at all? I don't even have a pool. I'd think that such a service would require a failsafe like a system of alerting customers when the meter exceeds a specified usage, otherwise we have this situation where these utility companies are making a killing off often unavoidable leaks which may be okay according to their policies but not ethical at all in my view. Is there any recourse? There must be some protections for the consumer here. Depending on the circumstances, a person in a dire financial bind + simply a busted underground pipe + a few days gone by could result in a really bad but unnecessary damaging situation.
Did you call and talk with a supervisor at the utility and see if they would reduce or forgive some of the water bill?

juntjoo

Did you call and talk with a supervisor at the utility and see if they would reduce or forgive some of the water bill?
Yes, talked to the main person there and they all say the same thing which is basically its my fault but they'll be so generous to cut the bill in half, but half of the bill is the sewage portion, which is invalid anyway as it's based water use which for this period doesn't get put through sewage, most of it anyway. So essentially they give you back a false charge, or nothing really. It's such an obvious scam really. I don't see how this operation is legal

STEPHAN

You can ask for them to credit the sewer portion of the bill. Most utility companies do that.

Why do you believe it is their fault?

juntjoo

I fail to see how it's a "scam".
They don't forgive any of your accidental usage charge. They stick you with the whole bill but pretend to remove a charge that was invalid anyway. It's not honest to expect payment for something you believe to have been given on accident. At most you charge for the cost. They don't NEED to charge you beyond what it costs them. Or until we have some water theft epidemic just eat it. Charge a reasonable fine. It's water. It'll come back. Don't take full advantage of us.

juntjoo

You can ask for them to credit the sewer portion of the bill. Most utility companies do that.

Why do you believe it is their fault?
Well what's the crime first of all costing $600? i think what I'm after at this point is an itemized breakdown of this bill. A penny per gallon? Can't be otherwise how would they profit? I'm trying to remove anything extraneous. I don't want to be taken advantage of. What's the quote 'taxation without representation'? I want representation.

Am I really alone on this?

juntjoo

"the burden" all three people I talked to including the supervisor used that term. The burden they would... 'absorb' half of or something like that. What is this 'burden' exactly that we have to split? Half the fake sewage fee =$0, I can pay the standard $20 or so, and half the gallons used. 60k. Smells scammy, faulty. I just don't think it costs $600.

juntjoo

Let us assume we are in the same county. Why should I pay your usage?
I didn't think you would. I would consider that to be written off as regular normal business cost and charge customer half or something to encourage them to upkeep their plumbing (tho s&#! still just happens) but stuff happens and you don't have to charge full regular transaction rate. just some reasonable figure to offset the loss. Reasonable is like under $100 or something. This is exploitative.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I can't fathom that you actually believe the water company is responsible for YOUR leak.
As for the sewer charge...it's NOT invalid. It's based on water usage, which is a very common and accepted (not to mention lawful) practice.

STEPHAN

I would consider that to be written off as regular normal business cost
To write something "off" there needs to be other income to cover it. In my example income from me. So my price would be higher to pay for your problem. I don't like that.

Let us take another example. You spill gas when fuelling your car and do not want to pay it. You expect all others to pay more, so the gas station can write "off" your usage.

I bet you would be upset, too if you see an extra charge on your gas bill for "other peoples mistakes" ;-)

What county are you at?

juntjoo

Where am I "at"? You make it sound like I'm in transit. Maybe I am and don't know it yet lol. Lee County, Cape Coral.

I didn't get what you were saying but I think I agree BUT they should charge as little as possible. There's no crime but a likely event they'll get some easy pay days at the customers' expense. You don't stick me with the full bill. You charge only the cost of the service/product however you come up with a number but you make a decent effort. You don't pretend to offer me half adjustment when half the bill in these special and common cases is off a falsely estimated "sewage" figure as none of 90% of it touched sewage. No one should profit from anyone else's accidents. And being a monopoly these basic social concepts especially apply. At least in my POV.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">