• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Any recourse vs utility company for $600 charge for leak?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Where am I "at"? You make it sound like I'm in transit. Maybe I am and don't know it yet lol. Lee County, Cape Coral.

I didn't get what you were saying but I think I agree BUT they should charge as little as possible. There's no crime but a likely event they'll get some easy pay days at the customers' expense. You don't stick me with the full bill. You charge only the cost of the service/product however you come up with a number but you make a decent effort. You don't pretend to offer me half adjustment when half the bill in these special and common cases is off a falsely estimated "sewage" figure as none of 90% of it touched sewage. No one should profit from anyone else's accidents. And being a monopoly these basic social concepts especially apply. At least in my POV.
Your point of view is seriously skewed. This is NOT the water company's problem...at all.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I don't think juntjoo understands how any of this works. Sure, the water is there. Free. How does it get to juntjoo's house? By magic wand? No-o-o-o-o. There are pipes (which cost $$ to install), there are pumps (which cost money to install & operate), there are processes required to make the water potable (which costs $$ in both process and staff), there is maintenance (which costs $$ for equipment and staff). There is a need for staff to answer stupid questions (more $$).

Heck - even people with well water have costs ($$) to get the water into their home.

@juntjoo - is the leak in the part of the piping that *you* are responsible for? i.e. not pipes out under the street?

FarmerJ

Stealth the bigger hidden cost for homeowners with well water is when that septic system must be replaced or a well has to go deeper if a aquifer level drops too low or other problems like when the start up capacitor burns out. BUT Juntjoo I have a question , if your water meter is way out near edge of street instead of say being inside your house who is responsible to maintain the line between the meter and your home ? ( you earlier made it sound as if your local water utility is a for profit company, If your water utility is owned by a city or county they are not there to make profits , they are supposed to collect enough to pay for treatment to make sure the water is potable and treatment again on the sewage end of things. SO I suggest you re focus your negative view of your public works dept and look into leak detection monitoring that you can install/ have installed on to the line between your home but right up close to the meter and use it to monitor for leaks in the future or consider relocating to a home that is serviced by its own onsite well and septic. ( lastly if your homes water line is not plastic maybe you should consider having it replaced with plastic so it can flex a bit if there are ground conditions like when soils shift )

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">