• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

any relief in sight?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

elin

I work for a software development company as a tester and technical support person. Test projects seem to consume 70-80 hours a week, and even when not testing it is rare for me to espcape with less than 60 hours a week of work. I am on salary and there is no comp time. Management responds by pointing to an employee who only works 8 hours, but he has been there 3 years, knows the very complex product far better and assigns resources, so he is never delayed the way the rest of us are. Seems like this would be bad for anyone but I pay a babysitter by the hour and am slowly going into debt to keep my job. I have already let the car insurance go, I am behind on my rent, etc, etc.... I hope this is illegal, or perhaps discrimination (single mom = female, right?) but I am already looking for another job. Any suggestions meanwhile? This is Maryland.

S

Simon

Did you know you would be working so long and hard before you accepted the job offer? Is management requiring you to stay more than 40 hours? Did you ask for add'l compensation and did they refuse? Many people work more than 40 hours but they do so voluntarily and because they need to work more than 40 hours so complete their assigned tasks. Are others able to complete the same task you are assigned within 40 hours? This is a very complicated and complex legal issue. I don't want to give you the wrong advice. I think you should speak to an attorney who specializes in employment law immediately.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">