• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Any thoughts on holding a mortgage for someone?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

steffb503

What is the name of your state? NY
We have our property for sale and it is not a normal property. It is a working farm with rental units, so mixed use. Not for everyone. But for the right person it is a great opportunity.
I have a potential buyer, he is the right person for the property.
he asked if we would hold the mortgage. My guess is he has good cash flow but not credit. He has a general contractor business and might do a lot of cash business.
Our first thought was no, we are too old, my husband is 67 and would like to see the money before he dies.
The buyer then said he could pay it off in a few years.

Is there any thing wrong with us writing up a proposal for holding the mortgage with our terms? Is there anything I should or should not put in a contract?
Other than monetary terms this is what I came up with:

• Any breech of the contract would result in total forfeiture of any and all payments made, including down payment and monthly payments, taxes and utilities as well as any money spent on improvements
  • Monthly payments will have 20 days grace period. After that the contract is considered breeched.
  • Full insurance must be maintained in the coverage amount of xxxxx
  • All taxes must be paid on time.
  • No alterations or changes to be made to the property or buildings that diminish the value or use of property, until loan is paid in full.

Thanks

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? NY
We have our property for sale and it is not a normal property. It is a working farm with rental units, so mixed use. Not for everyone. But for the right person it is a great opportunity.
he asked if we would hold the mortgage. My guess is he has good cash flow but not credit. He has a general contractor business and might do a lot of cash business.
Our first thought was no, we are too old, my husband is 67 and would like to see the money before he dies.

Is there any thing wrong with us writing up a proposal for holding the mortgage with our terms? Is there anything I should or should not put in a contract?
Other than monetary terms this is what I came up with:

• Any breech of the contract would result in total forfeiture of any and all payments made, including down payment and monthly payments, taxes and utilities as well as any money spent on improvements
  • Monthly payments will have 20 days grace period. After that the contract is considered breeched.
  • Full insurance must be maintained in the coverage amount of xxxxx
  • All taxes must be paid on time.
  • No alterations or changes to be made to the property or buildings that diminish the value or use of property, until loan is paid in full.

Thanks

I highly suggest you consult with a local attorney. IMO it's a very bad idea.

STEPHAN

My guess is he has good cash flow but not credit.
Real estate has no room for guesses.

I have done similar deals a few times. As a buyer and a seller. Get a substantial down payment (20-25%). Do a proper background check. Have a pro check his financials (balance sheets, etc.).

If he does not pay, you need to foreclose on him. That's not a DIY process and takes a long time.

You need a lawyer to do the contracts.

Last edited:

steffb503

Real estate has no room for guesses.

I have done similar deals a few times. As a buyer and a seller. Get a substantial down payment (20-25%). Do a proper background check. Have a pro check his financials (balance sheets, etc.).

If he does not pay, you need to foreclose on his. That's not a DIY process and takes a long time.

You need a lawyer to do the contracts.
I would certainly have an attorney, but as someone who has experience on both ends, what are the pros and cons?

steffb503

You think you know more about this than the lenders?
What lenders? There are people with no credit that have a good cash flow. My husband has zero credit, could not get mortgage anywhere but we have good income it is just that he never had a credit card in his life.
Many people hold mortgages, are they all wrong?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What lenders? There are people with no credit that have a good cash flow. My husband has zero credit, could not get mortgage anywhere but we have good income it is just that he never had a credit card in his life.
Ahh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize your mind was made up.

Have a wonderful day.

adjusterjack

he asked if we would hold the mortgage.
Then, no, he;s is not the right person for the property.

My guess is he has good cash flow but not credit. He has a general contractor business and might do a lot of cash business.
He's likely involved in tax evasion (the criminal type) - not reporting that cash business.

A sucker's bet, especially for amateurs. You are not smarter than any bank that won't lend him the money.

Well, I have no source of statistics for failed seller financing, Personally, though, I got burned doing it many years ago when I was young and stupid enough to listen to the advice of my realtor.

Tell me what the sale price is and how much of a down payment he is willing to make and I may have another idea for you.

STEPHAN

I would certainly have an attorney, but as someone who has experience on both ends, what are the pros and cons?
As a buyer I have done such a deal with a seller who did not know how to use the money and was happy that he did not have to manage the property anymore. Or I have done such a deal when I needed to turn a neglected property around before I could get perfect refinancing terms from a bank.

As a seller, I have done it when the buyer had funds for a significant down payment, but for personal reasons did not want a bank loan and offered a really good interest rate.

In all cases, it would not have been a problem to get a loan from the bank. Also, a significant (20-25%) down payment was made to secure the seller. If you have to foreclose, it might be that you get no money for a year or two and have to pay taxes and insurance as well a court cost and your lawyer.

If someone does not get credit, there is a reason. Banks are extremely good at evaluating financial risk. Better than you are. So, if they give no funds, you should not be giving funds.

Again, get a substantial down payment (20-25%). Do a proper background check. Have a pro check his financials (balance sheets, etc.).

Last edited:

adjusterjack

In my case, the buyer assumed the mortgage (allowed back then) gave 50% down on the balance of the sale price and I carried the rest. The big down payment assuaged my misgivings. He made the first month's payment, was late on the second, then nothing. When I resold it I managed to recover my costs. Never again.

FlyingRon

This is way more than we can do with a forum. You can put what you want in a contract, but if you want it to be enforceable you have to follow the NY laws. The NY law is you have to give them 90 days before you can start your activity. Then once you serve them they get a month to respond. It then gets scheduled for a settlement conference and if that doesn't work it takes another 30 days to get to court. Note that you don't just get the property back, it gets auctioned off and you get whatever you're owed if it sells for that much.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">