• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Anyone have experience with Informal hearings for license relief?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kangaroos

DUI: June, 2015
Conviction: December, 2015
State: Illinois (Champaign County)
driving relief requested: none

It's been over two years and I finally feel like getting my license back. Was wondering if I should be expecting a denial for my first request or if waiting so long will help my chances in any way. I plead guilty to a DUI with a BAC of .29 and obviously all those court requests and fines have been long paid off. Haven't really even thought about it for the past year. I'm going for an updated evaluation next week that will show that since getting a DUI I've finished college, got my first career job, and have been promoted twice since. My next persuit is to accept a promotion in a different state and I kind of need my license for the move and such. Since I didn't pursue any driving relief while serving my one year revocation before being eligible, I simply need to go to an informal hearing.

I've already met with the attorney that will be conducting it, and she went over all my papers. We decided that although I was eligible, my evaluation expires in a week so better to just get a new one to prevent that as being a cause of denial. I just have a few questions....

How intense will the questioning be? I didn't drink for a two year period but started to this summer. Will this hinder me? I feel like it shows growth and maturity as I now have action plans for when I choose to go out drinking. Uber, walking, and calling a friend grew to be staples these past two years, but admitting to drinking again feels like I will be judged differently.

How many days before a decision is reached after the hearing? I've heard 30 days for informal, but other people have said 3 months (granted, most people who love to give me advice are those that never got a DUI).

PayrollHRGuy

I have no IL specific information on the subject but I know two people that have been in much the same position as yourself. Well, at least originally they were. #1 sounds almost exactly like you other than he already had his degree but after the DUI he kept very clean, went on well with his life and didn't try to get his licence back until two years after the DUI conviction. He got his licence back about two months after the hearing.

#2 didn't do so well. He had a couple of drunk and disorderlies after the DUI and only waited about 18 months to try and get his licence back. That was about three years ago and he still doesn't have the licence. Which personally makes me feel a lot safer on the road.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">