• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Anything i can do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SouthernSauce

Im in Florida.

I work for an animal shelter. I'm the only full time man that works at this shelter. I'm meant to be a Vet Tech, but i typically end up doing all the heavy lifting and work that everyone else doesn't want to do. Like unload a truck of 50 bags of cat litter that all weigh 50 pounds each by myself despite having back surgery due to a previous work related injury that has left me permanently 10% disabled in my spine. My main problem here is my direct supervisor. She uses me as a work horse. I work 6 days a week, and i work over 60+ hour work weeks. Im constantly scolded about the amount of overtime im paid, but when i ask for time off im scolded for that as well because "we're too busy!" Granted everyone else at the shelter spends most of the day on their phones on facebook or shopping on Amazon or texting boyfriends. Other employees call out constantly or just leave whenever they want to and no one bats an eye about it. Today my dog was playing in the back yard and got into something that caused a nasty and deep cut on his side. I had to rush him to the emergency Vet who informed me they would have to keep him overnight and i would need to pick them up tomorrow. I sent my direct supervisor a text informing her that i had an emergency and even sent pictures of my dog and his wound. I told her i would need to take tomorrow off as they did not know when my dog would get out of surgery, and even after that id need to make sure my dog was settled in at home. I have weeks worth of banked up sick leave and time off but despite that my direct supervisor told me i couldn't take the day off, and i'd have to pick my dog up whenever i could.

This is the last straw for me. Im exhausted and overworked, i rarely if ever call out, i go well out of my way to do other peoples jobs for them because they constantly ask me to, but i'm constantly treated as an outcast and a work horse despite being at this job longer then my direct supervisor. I've had to have surgery due to a spinal injury i received at this job, and was still expected to perform tasks i was not medically cleared to do. I'm the last to know anything, the first to be blamed for anything that goes wrong, the first one they call to do anything despite several other employees just sitting around the office on their phones.

I need to know if there's anything i can do. I plan to talk to HR tomorrow, but i'm not sure how well that will go. I love working with the animals, and i don't want to quit. I've helped so many stray dogs and cats find good homes, but i just can't take the abuse anymore.

SouthernSauce

Ok. I'm going to do that tomorrow. Now one thing i didn't mention is the supervisors at this shelter are very vindictive, and tend to retaliate on people who report them, which is why I've been hesitant to go to HR in the first place. What can i do if this happens?

quincy

I would wait to see if that actually happens. Nothing can be done until you make HR aware of the problems you are experiencing and then see how the issues are addressed.

LdiJ

Ok. I'm going to do that tomorrow. Now one thing i didn't mention is the supervisors at this shelter are very vindictive, and tend to retaliate on people who report them, which is why I've been hesitant to go to HR in the first place. What can i do if this happens?
Quincy already gave you good advice but the reality of things is that with your spinal issues you cannot keep working there unless there is someone else available to do the heavy lifting. You cannot continue to risk your health. Therefore, unless HR can fix things, then you need to find another job.

SouthernSauce

Quincy already gave you good advice but the reality of things is that with your spinal issues you cannot keep working there unless there is someone else available to do the heavy lifting. You cannot continue to risk your health. Therefore, unless HR can fix things, then you need to find another job.
I plan to talk with HR tomorrow. It's a county run shelter, so im going to see if there is another area of the county i can be transferred to as i don't want to lose my benefits. There are some days i can barely walk due to lifting heavy bags of litter or food.

quincy

I plan to talk with HR tomorrow. It's a county run shelter, so im going to see if there is another area of the county i can be transferred to as i don't want to lose my benefits. There are some days i can barely walk due to lifting heavy bags of litter or food.
If you have not been medically cleared after your work-related spinal injury to do the type of work you’ve been made to do, be sure to bring this to the attention of HR as well.

Looking into transferring to another County position is smart. Your supervisor does not sound like she is making the shelter a pleasant place for you to work.

I hope your dog is okay.

Good luck tomorrow.

SouthernSauce

If you have not been medically cleared after your work-related spinal injury to do the type of work you’ve been made to do, be sure to bring this to the attention of HR as well.

Looking into transferring to another County position is smart. Your supervisor does not sound like she is making the shelter a pleasant place for you to work.

I hope your dog is okay.

Good luck tomorrow.
Thank you so much!

quincy

You’re welcome, SouthernSauce. I appreciate the thanks.

Again, I wish you good luck in your meeting with HR tomorrow.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">