• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Apartment Fire- Subordination claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lionkingden

What is the name of your state?Oklahoma

I had an apartment grease fire which started in my apartment when a guest living with me tried to cook something. I was not at home when this happened
I have lost everything in my apartment. Now the isurance of other renters are after me with subordination claims running in thousands which i cannot afford.

is there anyway other than bankruptsy.

am i liable for this????????????????

claimlaw

Subrogation; a contractual right of recovery via assignment of rights.

No. Probably not. However, it will cost you to defend. Chapter 7 is a legitimate threat that may work dependent upon what assets you have.

They may object to discharge but you can try these adverserial caims in Chapter 7 and discharge them. The problem is that you will have filed to get to that point.

You might suggest that they go away and not worry about it until you are served. Communicating to an insurer that you have no assets and a poor job may dissuade them. Particularly when the claims are less than $5-10K or so.

I am assuming no one died as a result?

Claimlaw

lionkingden

more facts

* The claims are just below $20,000
* I own absolutely no asset
* I am working partime job / I'm a student
* And nobody was even injured in the fire

:confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">