• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Apartment/Internet Provider Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Thanatosx00

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I moved into an apartment 5 months ago and was surprised to learn that they only allow 2 providers into the complex. TVMAX for cable & internet and Southwestern Bell for telephone and DSL.

SWB will only provide the lowest bandwidth DSL connection to my apartment. Because of job and requirements, that won't work. I need unique public IP's to do my work from home.

TVMAX was way more expensive then a regular cable/ISP, but was the only choice. You see my apartment complex apparently has a 5 year clause they just signed, allowed them to be the only ISP/Cable provider other then SWB.

It's been 5 months. 1 Month ago, they changed the group they are partnered with that handles their Internet. Yesterday, they cut off my extra IP's.

Now I am being given the run around and getting no help. So, am I screwed? Do I have any legal recourse? Any way of bringing in another Internet provider?

I'm at a loss, short of breaking my lease to find a new place to live.

Thanks.

You have very little legal recourse in Texas, since the apartment complex's policies regarding internet providers existed at the time you signed the lease.

Is DISH a possibility for you? Most apartment complexes with exclusive arrangements with TVMAX do allow renters to have private dish antennas ...

FarmerJ

Is SWB under open network rules ? where they must allow other firms to use the lines ? Also search local wireless firms to see if any of them offer services in your area

ecmst12

A dish won't help for internet. Satellite internet exists, but as far as I've heard, it's unstable, buggy, and slow - definitely not good enough for business use.

Indiana Filer

A dish won't help for internet. Satellite internet exists, but as far as I've heard, it's unstable, buggy, and slow - definitely not good enough for business use.
I'm posting on satellite internet, and it's usually a pretty good connection. The exceptions are when there is blizzard-type weather or torrential rains. We've got 4 computers sharing one connection, and we can all be on-line at the same time with no problems most of the time.

The exception is when DD and DH download too much. DS and I use torrents to download during the non-metered hours of 2 am-7 am. We're working on getting DD and DH to do the same.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">